first recurve for hog hunting

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Rodolfo Lazo, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello:
    I am thinking to start with bow hunting next season, By now I am working on my group. basically will try some hog hunting, medium size ones. I already got a samick sage 35 pound for target, practicing and built up my form, but for the future was thinking about a sage 50 or 55 pounds.
    Do you think 50 pounds will be enought for hog hunting or should i go all the way to 55?? Also, in both cases, do you recommend any particular arrow shaft and roadhead configuration for hogs??
    For what I have been looking at, Bh with retractable o movable bales have some pros and cons... I guess will be better to stay woiith simpell configuration as fixed 3 blades..
    Any inpouts will be totally useful to me.
    Also, between buy only new limbs or order the entire new bow, i would go for the second choice, because in case you have any trobule with the riser or want to use both at the same time, besides, the money difference is minimal.

Thanks in advance.

axtell343 likes this.
  2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Rodolfo, 50 is plenty for hogs or deer. There are lots of people who kill hogs with less draw weight. What is your draw length?
    As far as broadheads go, it's probably for the best to stick with a simple 2 or 3 blade cut on contact design.

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Id say 50 lbs and go with a 500 or heavier grain arrow with 2 blade magnus stinger

4. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. My draw lenght is 28. Actually I am starting to use a Sage 35 lbs. My goal is to work hard on this and improve my group to then move to hunting with all the dedication and respect it requieres. 500 grains arrow seems heavy enought.

I have noticed I hace a lot to work on my arm and mainly in my back tension to go up in pounds...work to do there if I want to higher to 55, but if 50 allowdeadly shots, probaly would stay there.!

I checked the magnus stinger..looks great and sturdy!!!. Enought to take all the possible punishment from a begginer.

As far as now, I have heard that some arrows from aliexpress are as good as some reknowed brands ( beyond quality - price equation). A friend tested some chinese arrows and some reknowed brands agains a concrete wall and surprinzingly the first one resisted a lot more... Saying that, have any f you tryed out some broadheads like these:???.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/327...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Finally: I guess that for practice I use in the same arrow a 100 grain targer tip, and for hunting i replace the tip for the same weight broadhead. Is that right??

I am searching for some other archer in the area, I know there should be... and also know there are people who hunt hogs around: Puerto Varas - Chile. But for the moment I don´t have any one to ask here...

Thanks for the info and if you want to comment a little more, i will be glad.