Restoring Jeep

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jrk_indle84, Sep 2, 2020.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So far it's been tore apart more than drove it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wl704 likes this.
  2. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got passenger side patch in and welded. Grinding was super fun but think it's ready for bondo now. [​IMG][​IMG]

CoveyMaster, wl704 and S.McArthur like this.
  3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m impressed, I’d probably would have swapped the tubs seeing all that work. Well done.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yea I kicked it around alot. So far besides figuring my time this has been cheaper so far lol. (Taking out what hospital bill will end up being ha) But thanks.

Got little more done today. Got drivers side cut out ane piece ready to weld in. Wanna fit floor panel in first should get it all in tomorrow. Then need to fix few more spots in floor but they're pretty small. So won't take long. Still haven't gotten one part in and kinda need it so probably go back to working on taking body off and get that all squared away. So getting close but still alot to do. Hoping next 2 days get alot knocked out. Might be pulling body off by Monday afternoon. Depending on how hard mounts are to get out at least ha[​IMG]

5. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Been debating about putting that bed liner across bottom of the doors now. But idk what it would look like. Would just tape off even with bottom of door frame between wheels and spray that too. From looking into that raptor liner I'm probably gonna have some left from from doin the inside of tub anyway. Maybe idk ha. Gonna call that place and talk to them Tuesday.

dnoodles likes this.
  6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got driver's side floor fitted and patch welded in. Put some bondo on welds. Might haveta sand down and put some more on to blend in little better. Once get that sanded down and primed gonna stoo here in body work and try getting tub off to work on frame. Been spraying body mounts last several days so hoping them come out fairly easy.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got the major rust on body pretty much done now. And just need to take heater core hoses off and take out bolts and body is ready to pull off. Tried takeing one of bolts out and it broke so probably gonna end up with most or them broke. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got the body pulled off finally. Got kinda lucky I guess. The body mounts that would have have to cut into jeep to get to ended up coming right out. Bit all the ones that already have access too broke or needed cut off. But its done. Next step is to fix trans skid plate finish cleaning up frame and paint it. Gonna haveta order mounts and hardware seeing as it was junk.

Debate have now is to just order a set of stock mounts or order a small body lift. Price is same or in some cases little cheaper for a inch or 1.5 inch body lift. Need to do some more research into it tho because don't wanna change alot of stuff around right now for a lift. Keep it on smaller side tho shouldn't have to change much. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see what size tires you already have, but guessing 31's. If you're taking votes, I'd choose to lift it just enough to get 33's under it.
    There is more cost though, because then it'll look a bit silly if you leave the current tires on it and don't buy 33's.
    But it's your money not mine...so lift it. :nana::lol:

JeffC and jrk_indle84 like this.
  10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's what it got on it. Worst part is they're brand new too. I gotta pick some stuff up today so gonna price few things

11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't get much done today. Alot of frame cleaning and painted on some rust prevent in the new skid plate. Did get one of the new frame pieces welded in. Still have other side to do. So hopefully tomorrow will slap it on and finish getting frame cleaned and prepped for paint. Maybe even painted. Then it'll be time to start the rebuild after fix few spots on the body. Need to figure out what to put on the underside of new floor pans. Will see after get frame done may have some of that por 15 stuff left over and will coat it with that if I do.

Cleaning and painting things takes forever ha. [​IMG]

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Still just been prepping things and waiting on parts. Last part ordered for the body is supposed to be shipped Monday and body mounts will hopefully ship tomorrow. Looking into body lifts found will still need factory mounts anyway so just have them coming. Today I got the two pieces welded into the front of body, called front toe boards for anyone who knows, they were pretty simple but were a pain to take off. They were only spot welded so I went cjeap and bought some cheap spot weld cutters. Idk if i was useing them wrong or they were just junk but ended up breaking the teeth off before getting through few welds. But got them off and new ones on.

Tomorrow plan is to paint the frame and work on the last few spots on body. Need to get broken bolts out and figure out what gonna put in to screw the new bolts in. Last few days have seemed slow but in once parts come in should come back together quick.

13. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you do a body lift, get aluminum mounts, the poly mounts have a tendency to bulge/squish/degrade over time. The poly mounts do not allow the bolt to go through properly and retain the proper torque degrading the structural aspect of the connection between body/frame.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great progress! I have a jeep also. It's a 89 yj 4 banger. One suggestion is watch the size of tire you put on. Anything over 31" tire really makes the 4 cylinder engine turn into a pig. Plus those axles don't take a ton of stress from big tires. If you do swap the gears, then 33" should work fine. The biggest down side I have seen with a body lift is some times the shifters will hit on the body under the shifter boots. Then all your down gears ( 2, 4, and reverse ) can pop out when driving.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm not real sure I'll do anything to this one. It's just kinda gonna be a cruiser and little offroading. I already had the jacked up stuff phase and it's passed. Had a 05 dodge 1500 for while with 9 inches of total lift and 40's.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got the frame cleaned up and painted today. Ended up being most of the day job. Cleaned everything as good as could then powerwashed the frame twice after using some degreaser and the metal prep. Felt like got everything cleaned off but while painting still found some flaking here and there had to knock off. But I think it turned out pretty good. Debated about doin axels and springs but didn't emd up doin it. Still might idk.

I'm not sure what to think on that stuff tho I feel like I put it on pretty thick with 2 coats over whole frame bit I only ended up using one little pint can. So idk ha. Guess see what looks like in the morning.

Have a wedding tomorrow so idk how much will mess with it but I'm to the point now where can't do much until parts come in. Did call a local parts store and they have a kit of that raptor liner stuff so might go check it out tomorrow. Definitely gonna go the inside of tub and think I've decided to do the area below the doors too. Probably just roll it on the body to get little smoother finish but can't decide what to do on inside tub. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    S.McArthur and JeffC like this.
  17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got some body mounts and they came in today. Got everything all ready amd will be hopefully putting body back onto frame tomorrow. Still waiting on yhe b pillar to show up. Supposedly will be shipped 17th but we'll see. Was supposed to have shipped monday too. If gets pushed back again will try and find it somewhere else.

After get body bolted back down gotta finish tacking down the floor and then getting it all cleaned up for bedliner. Picked that up other day.

18. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got the body back on finally. Feels like been forever waiting on the mounts. Funny place finally found some was up in Iowa about hour and half drive.[​IMG]

CoveyMaster likes this.
  19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    very nice!
    On my TJ I ended up Raptoring the entire lower half of the exterior body, pretty much at about your bondo/primer line on down. Once it was done it was done. Never had to worry about body rust again. I did the reverse on the doors and also bought flat black hinges. Mine was maroon originally but kind of like this to give you the idea of what it looked like (not mine just clipped from ebay to use as an example)

upload_2020-9-16_10-47-53.png

20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I think I'm gonna end up doin the lower half of body. Cant decide how high up wanna come yet, originally thought just below the doors but now idk. Will probably put few lines of tape across and see what like. Bought the kit that comes with 4 bottles so I'm thinking 3 will probably cover inside so may have one to left over. Idk just goin off video I watched of guy doin rockers and over wheel wells on a Chevy 1500 extended cab. He used about 3/4 of bottle. Also don't know how much I'll mess with doors, plan is to eventually get different set of doors would like a set of half doors. Saw one in town other day that had whole thing paited in some type of bedliner. Didn't look bad but idk if i could commit to do whole thing ha.