Arrow weight for hogs?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Thunder43, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Thunder43

Thunder43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got skunked on my first deer season in FL, but I learned a lot. The good news is I'm now targeting hogs.
    With a tougher quarry, I'm wondering if my arrows are too light. I know I need to shoot quartering away to best avoid the shield.
    Currently shooting cx maxima hunters 250 spine w/ 100gr slick tricks. Total arrow weight is about 375gr.
    Draw is 27.5 @60lbs on a Halon 6.
    If I add more weight to tip I risk being under spined according to archers advantage.
    Should I get a set of stiffer arrows and move up to over 400gr or just run my 375gr and stop over thinking this.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say yes.

Ive got separate arrows I hunt hogs with throughout the year. I like a thinner 5 mm arrow and heavier weight. With the two blade broadhead. High 400s or even 500 g is preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thunder43

Thunder43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud. I just finished messing around with 40gr inserts on my 250 Maximas but they were flying all over the place.

Just ordered some 5mm FMJs in 340 from ****s. Eff it.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO you'd have been fine with quartering away shots but the heavier arrows will give you some insurance if you're off the mark just a bit.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with rick. It a quality fixed head like you have a quartering shot you would have been fine. On hogs less than 200 you would have been fine too unless you directly hit shoulder.

But the 340 with your DL and weight might be a little stiff. According to the charts you should be around 400 on spine.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 340 currently but I'm shooting 70 lbs and adding more weight upfront with heavier insert.

7. Thunder43

Thunder43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've found a pretty large discrepancy with the charts and the Archer's Advantage software I'm using. AA accounts for many variables (point weight, nocks, inserts, bow speed) that the charts don't. According to AA, the 340 with my setup puts me in the green at 'optimum spine' @ 52lb. Which I agree sounds weird.

8. Thunder43

Thunder43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm coming in at 509gr 5mm FMJ 340s at 27.25 length w/125BHs and luminocks. 52lb on the Halon.

9. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello.
    Now i am shotting a 40 pounder and by the end of the year hope to be shooting using a 50 or 55 pound bow.
    If my group improves as expected, probably the next season i would try some medium size hog hunting. considering 400 spine is advisable, i used 30 inches arrows, and have a bunch of Hunter 400 carbon arrows. Actually I put on them 80 grains tip just for practicing,.... If moving with these for hunting, should i just bolt on 100 grains broadheads?? I am thinking in 3 bladed ones..
    Or should i put some more weight at the tip with some inserts??
    If you can tell me how go ahead whti these shafts, will be great!!.
    As said, just looking for medium sized hog,
    regards.
    Rodolfo.