Insert removal

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NorthmanJW, Jul 19, 2020.

1. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure everyone probably already knows this trick. The best way I have found to remove inserts so far is to, take a drill bit slightly smaller than the ID of the shaft, pull the knock and send the bit in blunt end first. Give it a few chopping swings for a slide hammer effect and it'll come right out. Had to do it a dozens times today so I figured I'd share.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got a set of CX Piledrivers from Lancaster a couple years back and not sure what glue they used but holy crap they don't want to come out. I tried that trick and the soldering iron/heated field tip trick and neither worked. Or at least not without melting the shaft.

Think I am gonna spring to have them cut down to just behind the insert. I have enough length.

3. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had to try a combination of both on a few of them. They where the Top Hat inserts about 3 inches long. I use a torch on a field point till it started to turn red, screwed it in and left it till the shaft got too hot to touch. Pulled it out real quick, dropped the bit in and gave it some baseball bat swings. Once it started to come out I heated up the insert itself until it started losing shape, put some pliers on it while my wife held the arrow I smacked the pliers with the hammer. Careful when you swing like Babe Ruth though, on one finally coming out I stuck my insert in the wall and the bit stuck in my gun case.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm afraid of heating them up too hot and ruining more shafts. Already did the one. My local shop will do it cut them for me for 20 bucks which is better than trying to save the money and ruining the shafts anyway. I'm lucky I like my arrows a little long so I have a couple inches to work with.

When I melted the end of that one after trying the slide hammer way you could see where the end of the aluminum insert actually mushroomed a bit and was actually making it even tighter.

5. swohbowhunter

swohbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely I have done that with the drill bit. It worked great. I use gold tip tip grip adhesive and it hold tight as well. So if you have to use heat then heat the threads of a filed tip with a torch and then screw-in in the insert and let the heat penetrate into the insert and it can loosen the glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums