Elevated shooting platform

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by palmettoyounggun, Sep 27, 2017.

1. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am making a range behind my house and am wanting to build an elevated platform to shoot from. I'm thinking between 8 and 12 feet and was wanting to just make it straight legs and anchor it down with 2-4 anchors and bracing in several places on the legs. I was thinking about a 4x4 or 4x6 platform. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm curious as to how stable it was. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have done something similar. You will not like the stability of "straight" legs. They absolutely need to be on an outward angle. You can do that with the double angle deer elevator brackets. those will run you $80 give or take.

You can also do this on your own. On the underside of the platform, create a "pocket" to fit the 4x4 into. The pocket should measure 4 1/4 to 4 3/8 in square-more on that later. Buy some window/door shims. Screw one or two on the underside inside the pocket. This will create an outward angle in one direction. Using one or two more shims, place them between the 4x4 and the side of the pocket. This will create an outward angle in a second direction.

If you are using anything less than a 2x6 for the framing, I would suggest predrilling the framing for the lag screw. A 4x4 platform might be a bit small in my opinion.

3. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not try a simpler European type scissor stand? Scherenleiter-Drückjagdleiter-Ansitzeinrichtung-Jagdeinrichtung.jpg

oldnotdead and John 6:47 like this.
  4. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here some plans. German so dimensions in metric but you get the idea. Skizzenzeichnung-DIY-klappbare-Drückjagdleiter-www.jaegeralltag.de_.jpg

John 6:47 and oldnotdead like this.
  5. Bowhunterlink

Bowhunterlink Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I built this platform for under $200. Used angled brackets off amazon.

Attached Files:

6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes ALL blinds are on straight legged platforms and they range from 5 to 15 feet tall there are various pics of them around the sight. Cross bracing is needed and then I brace ground to legs ,especially on the slope sides. I live on a hill side so everything slopes I either use my own cut blk. Locust or scrap. This being road sign stakes, like the ones that you see holding say exit signs. Some times oak or thick maple logs or heavy rebar stakes.This can be done on the inside if frame to avoid a big " foot print" we get high winds and never an issue..thing to remember. Leg sinking always use pavers.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love that!! Been wanting to make one to stick in my pines that aren't big enough for a ladderstand. Would open my entire front field during gun because pines are my road view blocker. I wasn't sure on design.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  8. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad this thread was brought back up. Been shooting ground level on the little range I made but I’m extending the area and definitely planning to add a more permanent platform now. Good ideas in here!