Changing bowstrings

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Garrett Godlewski, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How late is too late to get your strings replaced on your bow? I want to get mine changed before the season opens (October 3rd for me) and make sure I have enough time to shoot and break them in.

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can get new strings in the mail today and most likely hunt in the morning.

Now if you need to have a shop change them.....contact them and ask how much time they need.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on who is changing them, if they already have them available, and how much you shoot, materials used (stretch), care/tolerances used and how much time it may take to tweak/tune/resight...

I don't like surprises and want a high degree of confidence in my setup /gear well before the season so I usually like to be ready and comfortable a couple months prior... Ymmv.

4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a good set of strings shouldn't need "break in"
    they should be pre stretched and ready to go. Anytime you do anything to your bow youll always need to re zero your sight.

I just replaced my string and cables and put new peep in, this weekend Im re sighting it in to verify its good, but id be shooting this weekend anyways.

If youre worried about break in, shoot it 100-200 times then go over your bow again to make sure its all dialed in

5. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the info

6. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    changed mine last week, I need to reposition my peep because its twisted after 50 shots

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the string manufacturers are backed up atleast 4 weeks at this point in the year, spring time is when you should order new strings, you’ll have them in a week

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh I don't know. being that everyone is backed up it may not be wise to do it now. but custom strings are the way to go. get em on, shoot about 50 shots then set everything paper tune and you should be good to go. If you have a shop that is willing to work with you it would take max 2 days if they have the strings already.

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the problem will be wait time to get the string/cables in .. this is now crunch time for most string makers and they can get swamped ... if you order, pay extra for UPS or FEDX rather than USPS, as they have their problems right now ... Most custom strings do not need a break in time with the materials used now ... Catfish Customs, Twisted X, America's Best Bowstrings, Winners Choice all make good threads.. I just put on a set of X99 threads from Catfish Customs on my Ritual 33... put the peep in after 20 shots and it hasnt budged, great strings/cables !! ... same for the Twisted X - Mercury I put on the back up bow a few years back, as long as I wax it regularly, it performs and looks like new ... I do all the work on my Bows myself, as I am the only one I trust (I ran archery/gun shops/dept's for around 20 years)...if you have to go to a shop, make sure they are reputable and YOU are the one who shoots the bow to 'tune' it, they can do the 'set up', but YOU must be the one shooting it for the actual 'tune' ... many over look that fact ...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Garrett Godlewski likes this.