Mineral supplement questions...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I've never used a mineral supplement for deer out here, west coast, and curious about giving it a try. Obviously every product makes bold claims about growing giants and attracting deer from 100 miles away. Rather than just buying random stuff, I'm curious what products real hunters have tried and had success with. Given I'm out west of the Rockies, whitetail stuff may work or may not but trying to get some educated opinions before purchasing. Thanks for the help!

2. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was actually looking on here for some thoughts as well. I've used several different ones with varying success. I've been using Deer Cane but have noticed recently it's not getting much use after the first week. Used to be they would dig holes getting after that stuff but not anymore. I have no idea if the deer have "built an immunity" to it or the formula changed. Currently using Rack Roidz and deer are destroying it. Both of the sights have holes. I've also used Whitetail Institute 30-06, Big and J Dig It liquid and BB^2. Just another thought, depending on the soil type I think the minerals leech out if the soil has a larger percent of sandy loam.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had deer hammer trophy rocks but as far as antler growth and health who knows.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is all assumption, it's illegal here and plots aren't, I plot. Though I assume many around me use mineral attractants. Racks are getting bigger every year. So what sells out in the local tractor supply? Huge bins of trophy rock, cattle loose minerals, goat minerals and those big red mineral blocks. Most of the "deer " minerals stay on shelves a long time. A bunch if blocks were in the clearance isle into January.

5. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the deer cane myself and I have does that regularly visit them. I do believe alot of that has to do with the fact that its ultra hot all summer long and salt needs to be replenished. I have been told by more experienced hunters that it is more beneficial to your does than your bucks. I've also read that it helps does with lactation. I do have bucks visit and they will hammer it for a night but they dont pay regular visits like the does. I've also learned using them that they only work in some areas and other areas they seem to be ignored. I do believe this is because they are traveling through those areas and not feeding in those areas.

6. Bowhunterlink

Bowhunterlink Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just create my own using whole corn, di cal phosphate and trace mineral with a little bit of an attractant. Live in KY and can bait. So maybe take out the corn and you’ll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ChuckC likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Monster Raxx.

GregH likes this.
  8. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you even still get that stuff? I emailed Tom a year or so ago and asked about getting some. He told me things were in limbo at the time...

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I kid, I used it in the past but yeah it is unavailable.