Getting to your stand

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Recluse, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I’ve picked out the location for my stand. Given that this will be my first time, I had a few questions

-I have a headlamp that has a red light. I was planning to use this to get form my truck, all the way to my stand (in what I imagine will be pitch black)

The distance from my truck to the stand is a 1/4 mile

-Just want to make sure this is a safe and proper way to get where I need to be. I was told not to use a standard flashlight as it could spook deer?

-I’m planning to get into the stand 30 min before sunrise. Normal timing?

SkylarPreston likes this.
  2. SkylarPreston

SkylarPreston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as your quiet and hold your light pointed to the ground with your hand covering the light where there’s just enough shine to see you’ll be fine. I’ve never used a headlamp but if I need a light that’s all I do. Most of the time don’t even need a light your eyes adjust to the dark pretty well but that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Currently, I am fortunate to hunt private land and know where my stands are located. I never use a flashlight/headlamp. Like Skylar mentioned, eyes adjust well.

4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to get into your stand an hour before sunrise.
    I wouldn’t worry to much about the light as long as you aren’t needlessly flashing it all over you will be fine. Much better to use your light and get to your stand then getting lost or hurt stumbling around in the dark.

5. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My quiver has small led lights in the bottom so I can light up the trail

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it pointed at the ground a couple feet ahead of you and be sure not to wave it around.
    If possible, weed eat and remove all sticks or anything else that will make noise on your trail. If public, then I wouldn't do that and advertise my stand location.
    I'd also feel better about an hour before shooting light vs a half hour.

oldnotdead, Cannon06 and Recluse like this.
  7. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Red lights are fine. You'll still spook deer just walking to the stand no matter what you do. Depending on where I'm hunting I like to be in the stand at least an hour or 2 before nautical dawn. For instance on a travel corridor an hour before nautical dawn. On a food source at least 2 hours before nautical dawn.

8. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of hunters I hunt with wait till dawn is breaking to go in, they claim theres no need for a light and can sneak in with a lot less noise. I get in my stand about 45 mins before daylight . I also rake the leaves a from my path the last 50 yards a few weeks before the season opens

SkylarPreston and Fix like this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also rake and cut paths to my stands and if I'm not in my stand 30 before any visual light can by seen I'm late.

SkylarPreston likes this.
  10. Stickman

Stickman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my flashlight and keep it pointed to the ground also.

11. kevinpowell

kevinpowell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a flashlight I bought years ago from Primos it has a red light or a green light or a white light or you can do a red and green together I use a red light walking into my stand works pretty well doesn’t seem to spook Deer either. And I can also use it to help track blood trail

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion light color doesn't matter, just use as little light as you need and don't shine it all around. Keep it pointed at the ground. Good luck!

13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt our lands and all trails get cut and then leaf blown with a Stihl backpack. No light needed. Though leaves don't always cooperate and occasionally it is ink blk I use either pen light or a green head lamp. I can't see with the red.
    That said sound. Deer see lights from cars miles and miles away, houses, planes, towers. What they don't get is unusual walking gaits. So be mindful not to sound human. Longer stride heel to toe. Lets you feel sticks before snapping them . I always use slip on rubbers boots. This muffles stones and sticks. My regular tread tends to act as sound chambers. If leaves have blown back in I walk like a skunk. They shuffle stop shuffle stop . If busted with a stomp snort, I return a stomp snort then grab a bush or limb and shake it hard. After I really hustle to stand. Many times a buck will show up right at light for a look see.

14. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As little light as possible, walk like I’m just strolling through the woods. If a deer blows at me, I blow back, I don’t have night vision and sneaking like a predator seems counterproductive.

trial153 and airenlow like this.
  15. artzeigler

artzeigler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I place Brite Eyes reflective tacks at knee to waist level about every 20-50 yds apart, I use red or green on my head lamp on the walk in and out .. Brite Eyes are on both sides of the tree or brush so I can see in and out ... I keep my light focused low to the ground, hence the height of the tacks .... my walk in can be as close as 1/4 mile or upto 1 1/4+ mile in .. I pack in my stand and sticks every sit, and allow time to get in and set up .. if I have to leave the truck long before light, I do so, some times at 4am ish ish .... I want to be settled in a good 30 minutes before first light for my morning hunts ..

17. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can’t find a way in without a light I would go with a fairly dim regular flashlight over a red light - the deers are going to be just as freaked out if they see a red light as they would with a regular light but you will see better with the regular light and probably make it in with less noise. Low powered flashlight that’s held low and pointed towards the ground is maybe visible for 10-50 yds away max in thick early season woods but a deer can hear the crack of a stick from half-a-mile and even crunching leaves for 200+ yds. If getting in the stand requires passing within 50 yds of the deer you are planning on hunting then you need to find a better way in because at that point light is the least of your worries.