Turnip, Radish, Sugar Beet Plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 1, 2020.

1. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using Low Vol 4 or 6? That's a fairly high rate. I don't have the rate off the top of my head. I know I don't use that much on an acre though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep sections of unmowed field, some of which has goldenrod, milkweed and a host of other native plants that I don't know. I also keep sections of field unmowed that have native red raspberries, black raspberries, black berries and other edible berries that I am unaware of their names. I also have 65+ apple trees in the overgrown field sections. My food plots though I try and keep as weed free as possible by mowing and not letting weeds go to seed. It just stopped working in my clover plot though so I sprayed, then tilled and replanted with a bulb mix.

foodplot19 and oldnotdead like this.
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually use 2 quarts of Low Vol 6 when we're doing the burn down in the spring with about 120 gallons of water in our 3pt sprayer, which does 7 acres.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll have to look at the jug again when I get back up there. I just asked my gramps how he would do it and that’s what he did. All I have ever done was arrest max for the grass in the clover so I just used what he had. Did look like I got a good kill though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

foodplot19 likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One HUGE mistake I've made over the past 20 years is not having a FIRM seed bed for brassicas.
    They do not like to germinated on a fluffy seedbed only to send a root down and hit airy- dry soil!.
    Made this boo- boo too many times.

6. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    A week and two days since planting. One good rain, hopefully more Wednesday! I may have over seeded.
    20200809_121627.jpg

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Amen on the elderberry...and well the rest of it as well.

I embrace ragweed in the hot summers - as it is truly one of the "weeds" that will thrive and the deer definitely eat the stuff. Research some of the nutrient levels in ragweed and you'll be shocked...studies have indicated crude protein as high as 47%, fat % hovers in the mid to upper 30s, has some of the highest levels of the mineral copper (chicory does as well) and it's ADF is higher than some plants in food plot mixes.

Often the greatest reason to include in habitat plans all the native "weeds", forbs and bushes is the very fact they provide food during times not a tremendous amount of plots can deliver BUT require very little effort and money in some cases.

Merely timing when you agitate or turn the soil can trigger native seed beds with tons of food to spring forth, control the grasses (not desirable for deer food) and you have a low cost food source....and often times cover as well as many "weeds" not only provide food but grow to a height that they provide cover as well.

vermontwhitetail and oldnotdead like this.
  8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends what you planted, if those are purely tuber style brassicas 100% too much seed, BUT the plot will merely transfer to being a great green source food source, just not a late into winter tuber food source. You'll need to monitor and keep those puppies fed with nitrogen as they'll deplete the soil VERY QUICKLY.

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Over crowding can give tiny late winter, early spring tiny bulbs. This when they need them. Though most can give you seed for a no plow plot like I have done in the rye plot I do. All that rye seed and the turnips from last year saved on my seeding. I also plant clovers with my brassica, rye plots. They feed and help weed.
    Last night hubby was so pleased to show me more picks he took of the turkey in my rye plot. Excited there are so many. I secretly laughed because 30 turkey in a small no plow isn't exciting to me at the moment. Rye's not looking good at this point and the brassica are succulent little plants turkey love...lol All that seed I allowed to mature along with the clover cover will save most of it. Good thing I enjoy turkey season more than deer.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  10. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    This is all good stuff. It definitely wasn’t Forbs. I’ll try to see if I can get a picture of some when I go up there this weekend for some storm clean up. I only have a little 10 acre piece I can control and just under 3 of it is tillable. There are not a lot of deer in the area this time of year so the big spot I like beans because it gives me a great stand of late winter food especially with snow when all the ag is gone and the other little food plots are demolished where the deer all hang out this time of year and early season. Can’t put corn there coons decimate it. I have been planning on experimenting with the little .4 acre plot I established clover in when I first acquired the piece. I’ll pay more attention to what comes up in the future what I really want is just some green stuff that stays that way late

oldnotdead and vermontwhitetail like this.
  11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    B4b, try pumpkins in that spot next year.

12. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I have finisher fertilizer 46-0-0 sitting in the barn waiting for them to get a little bigger.

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Having a BIG no rain problem now. Thats not good for seedlings, really not good for garden.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  14. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing going on here now even with the big storm. Kinda glad I haven’t put down seed yet. Looking like waiting until next weekend is the right play all around

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I plant just before a 3 day storm....that then disappeared for the foreseeable 10 days.

16. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  17. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Ill throw the finisher fertilizer on just before the next rain. What it looks like today. About 6" tall.
    20200820_105530.jpg

18. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    And my bush bean/kale plot with a little turnip / radish thrown in.
    20200820_104947.jpg 20200820_104508.jpg

rknierim likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
  20. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received: