Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Making dinner for the neighbors. Having a fish fry actually I use breadcrumbs and cook the fish on a grittle.

Shocker99 and trial153 like this.
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What do you not like about deep frying?

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The grease I try to avoid anything deep fried.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet that comes out good, i like the idea

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda what I expected. Well grilled can be good too...but preferences are what they are.

Keeping the temp up on the oil, not overloading the fryer, draining any oil well before serving, and a touch of salt while draining make all the difference though for deep fried.

Sota likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So good I do put a little butter around the filets on the griddle. Everything was perfect practice for Labor Day weekend.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The coleslaw was perfect bacon was scorched just right little burnt smokey with the sweet coleslaw dressing, the fish potatoes with carrots onions mushrooms and parm cheese was excellent as well.

wl704 likes this.
  8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

OK. So here is my lightning while fishing story.

Way back when we started big water fishing (Bay of Green Bay and L MI), there were no cell phones. We planned a late afternoon into dark trip for steelhead and salmon.

There was a storm forecast to pass at least 60 miles to our north. Well, said storm took an abrupt detour from it's westerly course and started on a southwesterly heading after dark. We never knew it changed course. The first inkling we had that it was coming our way was when we started to hear some "buzzing" over the VHF radio.

We had a hit on our 300 foot copper and when my arm brushed the metal band on the reel, I got a little tingle. At that point the wife noticed lightning way up north. Ding! Light goes on. Lightning is hitting the water and I feel the little tingle. We get the fish in and proceed to get all our gear back on board and start to make way to the launch some 4 miles away.

We still see some occasional lightning but no worries, it miles away. But then the wind picks up when were are about a mile away and we know it is going to be fun recovering the boat at the launch due to the wind direction and the numerous number of boats hitting the mouth of the river in front of us.

That launch can dock/recover 4 boats at a time. The docks are full and about 10 boats in front of us. Some jack wagon decides to unload his gear from the boat and take it to his truck. He ties his boat off at the bow but leaves the stern untied. The wind turns the boat 90 degrees in the docking bay effectively taking up 2 slips. He refuses all offers of help to get his boat back to one side. Other boaters are really getting upset as the wind has picked up even more and there is more lightning. 4 other boats dock and pull out before this guy gets his on the trailer.

We finally get to the dock and I am off and running to my truck. I'm almost there and KABOOM! The sky lights up and there is an immediate crack of thunder. Didn't know it right then but lightning had struck the radio tower about 200 yards away.

We never got more than the wind and that lightning bolt. The closest the storm ever got was 12 miles. Ya never know.

PS. That jack wagon got a paste in the mouth from another guy that had little kids on his boat. And no one saw nuthin! LOL

Mod-it, cantexian and Sota like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was working up in my tractor shed last night changing implements on the tractor when I saw my dogs rush off into the woods. To my horror they had found a huge porcupine. I instantly started yelling, then swearing at the top of my lungs to my dogs who were only 25 yards away. They were within 3 feet of the creature and finally came back to me unscathed.

I then fired up the tractor and took the dogs for a loop around my bean field to try and give the porcupine a chance to get away and take the dogs minds off of it. I was relieved to not have incurred vet bills and astonished that my dogs actually listened to me and left the porcupine alone! Had I not been there it would have been a story for the Rant thread.

10. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some times dogs can be dumber that a box of hammers.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Youre gonna get OkieBob all riled now, he's a 'hammer live matter' zealot

Sota likes this.
  12. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got the lighting on my night range set up right - bright enough to see the target and arrows but not so bright that it washes out my sight pins and/or peep!
    upload_2020-8-12_21-23-30.jpeg

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Night shooting? I got thrown out of college for night shooting.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When in my early twenties a friend used to come over every evening and we would put up a quartz light on the target bag and shoot until 10 or 11 every night. I had some pretty good spot shooting "game" in those days.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter and granddaughter stopped by at lunch. Holding your grandkids, is way high on the BTIL list.

cantexian and Sota like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spending Fridays and Mondays with him this past spring was so awesome, really bonded he thinks his grandpa is pretty cool.

cantexian and GregH like this.
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Having meetings canceled for tomorrow morning. After working all week and all night tonight....this is fantastic! I get to fish tomorrow afternoon and not be up 24 hrs in a row.

cantexian, Fix and wl704 like this.
  20. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Come on. Man up! Used to come off 3rd shift, grab a pepsi, my fishing pole and bait snd head to the lake to fish. Get home about 4, make dinner ( or go to the nco club) have a couple drinks and hit the rack about 10.

Granted that was a crap ton easier when i was 24 and single...

virginiashadow likes this.