I have a question about baiting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In VA we are not allowed to bait. I don't know why, other the fact that we have well over 1 million deer in the herd and there is no need in it. So why do some states allow it? Low deer density? I have no opinion on it really. I am just curious as to why states that allow, well, allow it.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am just glad we dont allow it here (Indiana) ...... some dont consider it fair chase, some say it can spread disease by congregating deer in a small spot ... Ive hunted states where it was legal, and I still killed some good deer not using the crap, Ive never had a problem killing deer without it (around 130 now taken thru the years/both bow and gun) ... ...

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NY doesn't allow any baiting. I don't mind it, I have food plot and honestly see more big boys in the deep woods over a plot anyways

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I just wonder what the reason for states allowing it is. Is it in states that have low deer population?

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good Lord this is a slippery topic. I can't help wondering how long it'll take before someone gets their toes stepped on.

I'm sure some states don't allow it for the reasons 0317 said above. I dunno. Some states don't allow lighted nocks either. Go figure.

Perhaps some states don't want to add even more restrictions than they already have. I sort of like states like that.

6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Arkansas has a butt-load of deer and hunting over bait is legal.

Razorback_bowhunter likes this.
  7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish Oklahoma didn't allow it. I've been guilty of it, spent a lot of money feeding a protein pellet all year and all just because I thought if the neighbors are doing it I have to as well. Wrong, totally wrong. Baiting just let's them know where you are. Less is more.

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey speaking of which! I'm working in NWA, I found one piece of private to hunt but am wanting to do a few public hunts. Any tips?

9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not familiar with NW Arkansas, but I'm in a club that has a cabin at Wattensaw WMA. It's about 45 minutes east of Little Rock. It's loaded with deer, but they are educated beyond belief. It's an accomplishment to kill any deer there, but it's a nice place. It's probably a bit too far from you though.

I used to hunt private land in a couple of places in NE Arkansas, but it's been a long time.

10. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Baiting in Tennessee is a tough one. You are allowed to put bait/attractant out but you can NOT hunt over it until it’s been cleaned up for at least 10 days. So you clean it up and after 10 days you can then hunt that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    well here in Va you can put out bait from the close of deer season in Jan to Sept. after that there is no hunting and baiting. I was always under the assumption that places like Texas allowed baiting because of the thick under brush and what not made it difficult to even see deer. so they make roads and put corn out to draw them in..

12. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find bait piles attract more coons and squirrels than deer so I only use mineral stations.

13. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Illinois made it illegal due to CWD. Deer congregate around the bait and don’t social distance. Not sure what the difference is between a bait pile and a small food plot.

14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    or an oak flat with acorns

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Wisconsin it was about success sell licenses sell corn draw the hunters sell bar drinks and food, hunter success get rid of the car wreckers.

Vabowman likes this.
  16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without doing any research on why a state would allow baiting for deer, my gut tells me it is States that have a huge deer population that needs reeled in that will allow baiting so that success percentages are driven up.
    I probably just really boils down to the success rates vs. population vs. deer related problems.

17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You shut up! There are no deer here and the season is not ridiculously long with affordable nonresident prices. :busted: Seriously though, Arkansas may be the best kept deer hunting destination secret in the south. At least, that will last unless you start lighting up Arkansas like you did Kentucky last year.

Okiebob and LittleChief like this.
  18. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard about Arkansas and what is going on there...not just good duck hunting these days....Kind of like VA, most people would be astonished at the bucks that get killed here every year.

cantexian likes this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    There is a public land hunters get-together near Little Rock on Saturday morning. I am going if I do not get suckered into more car shopping with my wife. Shoot a PM if you are interested and don't mind the three hour drive. It starts around 8:30-9am, typically lasts until 1 pm or so.

LittleChief likes this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Back on topic: Arkansas does not allow baiting on public land, only private.

LittleChief likes this.