Gun Rights are essential to Liberty

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by 0317, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a thesaurus and a dictionary if you want it.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not familiar with their gun laws. I can assume they did not come and take your guns. I assume you can still go buy guns if you wish. And I assume you still have your 2nd amendment rights. Just assumptions though.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pistol permits take up three years in some counties. They did make it illegal to hold more than 7 RDS in your mag. And passed the safety act in the dead of night. They have legislation in the works right now to limit the rounds allowed to PURCHASE a year.
    Sorry guys but NY really is a ****show

4. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I assume that all of those things stem from the large cities in those states where crime rates and murders are higher than other places. New York, Chicago, LA/Oakland/other hood ass cities in CA. That is unfortunate.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is all due to Cuomo and his beliefs that New York consists only of the City.
    I wish we could annex that damn plague of a city. NY is actually very diverse geography but unfortunately that matters not.

ash d likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are woefully ignorant of history; which is sad considering this is usually a pretty enlightened bunch of freedom-loving outdoorspeople.

Prior to Supreme Court decisions in the past 20 years, it was illegal to own/possess handguns and many types of semi-auto rifles in several municipalities in the state of Illinois. Sure you could buy them elsewhere and transport them into the prohibited zones; but you just decided to make yourself a felon.

It is now for all practical purposes largely the same in NY, NJ, Connecticut, CA, and several other municipalities in other states.

For Illinois, it took 3 Supreme Court cases to affirm 2A rights, 2 of which cases I believe were decided by 5-4 decisions, to first be allowed to buy/possess handguns in the home, and then to carry them on your person to protect yourself out of your home.

Multiple towns and municipalities outright banned handguns and semi-automatic rifles. Possession of which was a felony- even in your home. Since Sandy Hook, several other municipalities have banned the possession of "assault weapons" which to these suburban doofuses is any semi-auto or even manual action black rifle with skelotonized hardware. I think challenges to these laws are still ongoing.

If you think the Federal government can't just outright ban 2A-related items you need not look any further back than last year, when the Trump administration banned the possession of bump stocks. No buy-back, no legislation; nothing. Just outright made a previously legal, $100 piece of equipment illegal with no restitution. The SCOTUS refused to hear a challenge to the ban. (This is not a bump stock discussion- just a case in point.) If you have a bumpstock; you are now a felon.

As far as being free to move to another state; sure I am- but when these exact same Prog Dems, who have the exact same philosophy, run the ENTIRETY of the US government; with the power and stated intent to eliminate the filibuster and stack the SCOTUS, and are in plain English TELLING YOU they will ban and take away your guns - you think they won't do exactly what they have done in other states with what little power they had?

When they control all those federal powers , and live up to their promises and patterns of past deeds- where will I move to?

Where will you?

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, can you speak up? I can't hear you over the sound of my constitutional carry freedom and the gun store cash register. Give me ten minutes, the amount of time it takes to buy a gun here.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Until the SCOTUS finally agrees to accept a 2A case that has lasting effects and shuts down Congressional attacks on gun rights I'll never feel confident it can't/won't happen.

They do not need to abolish to make it so. Once they make it so financially restrictive through taxation and get enough cosmetic features banned, we'll essentially be black powder toting rebels.

Hawaii is a concealed carry state, care to post the total number of permits issued there?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2016 was all about SCOTUS appointments and now 2020 is the same boat adding Federal judges to the list. Anyone who thinks Ginsburg will still be sitting the bench in 2024 is naive, she would retire for Biden and die waiting out Trump. I think Thomas will retire at some point should Trump win a 2nd term and Sotomayer is always a toss up.

The 2nd amendment will always be the amendment I stand up for first, without it the rest are meaningless to a free nation.

Damn you all for dragging me into a debate again, been awhile I must say :lol:

dnoodles likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll believe it when I see it. Until then it's nothing but huff and puff. Sorry Illinois sucks, maybe run for office and be the change you want to see, I think Ghandi said that.

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you refuse to believe it because you live in a full-red state. What until your local government is overruled by Progs in DC.
    It will happen.

11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    it is amazing how some just fluff off what the DEMOCRATS want when it comes to gun control and/or confiscation .... the Democrats have gun control in their 2020 Democratic platform of their wants should Biden win https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ila_alert ... Virginia is looking to a war on gun rights come 2021 with their dem controled House/Senate/Governor https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200427/virginia-anti-gun-activist-unveils-2021-gun-control-agenda

Millions take the assault on our gun rights seriously, we see what is happening and what would happen should the dems gain control... just because a certain state dosnt have it happening there dosnt mean it wont, not with all the wokesters and radical dems out there .......

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you really believe the current SCOTUS would side with anything remotely resembling what you are pitching?

Trust me, I've been active here in IL defending my 2nd amendment right. I'm not as worried about a federal level assault on my right as I am at the state level, at this time. While Posner, of the ILSC, gave us concealed carry here, his ruling was not without worries. We got shall issue when they could have pulled a Hawaii and went May issue and made it more burdensome. I believe we got what we have, which is still all sorts of FUBAR, due to the fact they knew whatever they did would be under immediate srutiny of IL's highest court.

I would much rather have something draconian passed at the federal level right now as the current court makeup is likely to slap it down with authority and once and for all set the law of the land on the 2nd amendment. State level laws can take years to make it to the highest court of the land, let alone state, whereas a federal law can be there within days.

While I do not doubt the desire they seek is true, most of these promises being spewed are nothing more than vote garnering.

In 2016 it was very much at stake as there was a vacancy that would have tilted the court to a more favorable anti 2A ruling. Not so much the case right now. Trump has done a good job at the Federal judge level as well, and right now if he wants to start a judicial campaign like 2016 he needs to start running on the promise to split the 9th circuit up during his next term.

Okiebob, siwulat and slickbilly-d like this.
  13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

14. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    As the NRA once said: "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a avid supporter of the second amendment but I lost faith in the NRA being anything but a business a long time ago.

cls74, siwulat, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. Sent back my lifetime membership and let know I was no longer interested.

cantexian and Fix like this.
  17. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same. I was a long time member until they straight up asked for a 2k donation 1 month after I donated 20 bucks. I laughed and told the lady I'm an E-2 in the Air Force. 2k mind as well be 2 mill for me. I had neither. This was about the hundredth call to solicit donation from me. I rode out my last few months of membership and never rejoined. I know they have fought a lot of legislation, but damn it was like a needy vacuum sales rep always knocking.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Okiebob and Fix like this.
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if one is betting the farm on SCOTUS, your in big trouble .. look how pansy assed Roberts is... SCOTUS wont even take up any gun case, they have passed on several already ... I lost faith in Roberts when he showed his belly over Obama care ...

19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well as long as we are going to devolve into the mindless trap of yet another useless forum debate, lets get back to a bowhunting theme.
    [​IMG]

Mod-it and siwulat like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage blamer.

cantexian likes this.