Requesting help from the gun gurus.....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by GMMAT, Dec 30, 2009.

1. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, buy a Taurus Judge...best of both worlds. I'd like to have one, but our shop wants $550 for it and I really have no use for it. Sure looks like fun, though.

2. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Taurus Judge is a cool gun for sure.

If I was buying a gun today as a backup to my shotgun though, it would be the 4.5" barrel Springfield XDm. Sweet, sweet gun and it could be carried as well.

However, I would feel bad if I didn't mention a few others. Walther's P99 is maybe the coolest looking gun in the world and it shoots like a dream, H&K USP is maybe the toughest most reliable handgun in the world, Para Ordnance's LDA trigger system is the cat's meow, and Sig might have the best handguns for the money you can get. I know that isn't an answer really, but there are so many great options out there. Like I said though, if it were me I would be buying the Springfield XDm in 4.5" barrel.

3. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The ruger and the kaltec are both awesome but I would leen towards the ruger life time guarantee. I would go with it in a 380 that is what i carry..

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This is at the top of my list for my next purchase. First need to go handle one.

Huntingson, you're in law enforcement, correct? You mentioned a quality holster is just as important as gun size of caryying ability and comfort. If I were to go with an XDm (probably 4.5" .40), what would you recommend for carrying?

5. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Colt Double Eagle would be a great choice. Keep your eyes open for a lightweight commander. They are wonderfull guns and not heavy at all.

The 686 is an awesome gun if you want reliability and accuracy it's just a little on the heavy side.

If you're looking for a polymer.45 you can't go wrong with the FNP45. It comes with 3-14 round mags and being a polymer frame gun isn't that heavy for what it is.

I have a Kel-Tec .380 that's very small with a single stack mag but wouldn't suggest this pistol for anyone. I took it to the range one time and it kept on jamming and stovepiping with me. I took it to my local smith and he said that there's not much he can do with it being mostly plastic. I will never own another Kel-Tec pistol.

I highly suggest the Fobus holster. It's form fitting and being a paddle style it's very secure on your side.

As for the 12 GA. you can't go wrong with #4 buck shot. This is what I keep loaded in my 870 for home protection. It's 3" and has 41-1/4" pellets in it. That's going to be nasty.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a little surprised no one has mentioned the Para-Ordinance Para-carry with the LDA (light double action).
    I have not shot one. I did get to dry fire one at a shop some time back. The trigger is/was AWESOME! Smoother than a (insert extremely smooth item of your choice here).

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Jim....

I like the looks of the XDM....but the Sprigfield site only shows 4" and 5" models (maybe a 3".....but I'd want longer). Can you link me to a 4.5" model?

Thanks.

WOuld you be thinking .380? .45? .40?

Thanks.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.the-m-factor.com/specs_2.html

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Matt, if you are looking to handle one, I am pretty sure I saw one down at Gander when I was browsing.;)

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, Matt.

I'm wondering, for those who've handled these.....how much "diff" there is in size/weight between the XDM style and the similar barrel length 1911 models.

Thanks.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good. I have a gift card for there, so that might help;)

12. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For home protection, NOTHING beats the chambering action of a pump shotgun. It's a universal sound that leaves people with wet pants. You'll never have to fire a shot, hopefully. At worst, saw off the barrel and make it extremely agile. Lisa could handle it well.

The 686 is a fantastic gun, I own one as we type/read. It's not a practical gun for carry and many consider the .357 too light for hunting. If your going to pick up a hunting handgun, think .44.

As for semi.... so many choices it comes down to personal preference.

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Again....I have the shotgun and the second line covered. I "can" carry my 1911, but it's a bit daunting in size. Hence my post.

I love the 1911 style. But I don't know anyone who's carrying a short version. So, I don't know how cumbersome it is. Probably looking to carry it inside my waist and outside in the lower back position.

14. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Something smaller for your wife at home you may want to look at the Taurus Judge. I have it in the small safe in the bedroom, which is where they retreat to if need be. It currently has 5 rds of 000 buck and there are extra shells (slugs, 000buck) in the safe. 3 rds exit the barrel with each shot and, at close range, should be effective enough. The gun is a bit on the heavy side but a plus there is it doesn't tend to move move after the shot.

It is also the sidearm (found a nice leather holster) I strap on when checking the property for "strangeness" at night.

15. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're willing to pay the money, you just can't go wrong with the Kimber Ultra Carry. It's got you covered on the short 1911 style frame. They're also very accurate for a sub-compact.

16. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Kimber ultra carry II 45 acp. with crimson tracer grips, its a great pistol (understatement) but still alot of gun to conceal and carry. My LCP .380 is in my pocket (pocket holster) 90 % of the time, with quality hollow points this gun will pack a punch. Got Berreta and Browing in 9mm, both quality pistols. Also have a Desert Eagle 44 mag if your interested in a hi powered hunting pistol.

17. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a compact Bersa 380, good shooting little stainless set up. Never had a problem with it, really easy to pack in various places.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  18. scottymack

scottymack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the feel of my XD-40 it's easy to carry and is accurate. I leave it at home for the wife when I'm hunting.

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, this may be one of my next purchases...
    Sig P238

20. JohnWiseman

JohnWiseman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One of the Most important things to remember about a carry gun is to find a gun you will carry all the time. No matter what. If it isn't there all the time It is almost usless. Accuracy, dependability, fit and feel, looks, power. All rendered emeadiatly usless and pointless if it isn't on you. First evaluate your frame, Go to a gun shop and try out differant guns. See how they ride on your body and where you can hide guns of a certin size comfortablely. A large framed .45 is great, but if you stop carring because it causes your belt to fold in and cut in to your hip. Guess what?

I personally carry a Kel-tec 3at, with the side clip and Crimson Trace laser. This is what works for me and my habits. If your a tee shirt and jeans guy you have a limited array compared to a guy who wears a 3 peice all day. Just the facts.

After you have the size of the gun figured out, remember. Revolvers have no place in this arena any more. The auto will be flatter, carry more ammo, and reload faster. They are nostalgic at best. No police force issues them for a reason. Fast reloading with a revolver takes a lot of practice, and lets be honest. 75% of all gun owners fire less then 10 rnds a year. 90% fire less the 100 rnds.

Now that you have a size. It is better to get one of the larger calibres offered in that size of weopon. For me It was .380 ACP. For many this will be 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. All very good calibres. Avoid .357 sig, .40 Corbon, and 10mm. These are all good police service cals, but tend to over penetrate at the short ranges envolved in civilian self defence shootings (typically less then 5 yds).

A good, fast moving hollow point should be used, agian over penetration is an issue with fmj rounds. Some will say they can clog in heavy clothing. I say who cares, they are still going to transfer more energy then a FMJ that wont open at all. When they do open up they stand a much better chance of knocking a bad guy on his butt.

As far a the weopons? Well, to be honest, there are many out there that are very good guns in any size. Avoid High Point, Davis and Jeminez pistols. They have proven time and agian to be utterly unreliable. For me, for CCW, double stacks are just to thick and I really like a gun that is uncluttered with all manner of controls. My kel tec is perfect, agian, for me. Some prefer those options.

One very imprtant thing is the laser. I can not stress enough how much of an asset they are in a gunfight. So many things open up to a shooter with one. My keltec will do about 8" groups at 10 ft with the open sites it came with. Laser, I can keep the all 7 rnds on a bad guys face at 50 ft. To many positives and almost no convincing negatives for a Concealed Carry Gun. Really concider this option.

I hope I have helped at all.