Why You Should Shoot Lighted Nocks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A little sand paper will losen up the fit if the nock is a tad tight.

2. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting grizzlystiks for years and my new order came with Glorynocks. They are a lot easier to operate than the Luminox. Good luck hunting!

tynimiller and LittleChief like this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this will be my 3rd season using lighted nocks (33 yrs bowhunting) .. 1st season, tried Nocturnals, and they flew crappy/loose fit, never with my GT nocks which I weighted to be the same weight @ 25 grs... Tried Glory Nocks, they flew exactly like my GT nocks and used them, one broke going thru a large buck, the other worked fine on a big Doe ... season 2/ tried the Nocturnals again, and used them to kill a big buck and a large Doe, they seemed a tad tighter on the string serving (same bow /Bowtech, but different string and serving/Mercury string from Twisted X) ... this season tried the Nocturnals again on the new bow (Elite Ritual 33) and they refuse to impact with my exactly weight GT nocks ..... tried the Glory Nocks again, and they fly great, exactly like my GT nocks, the Nocturnals have a very sloppy fit on the Catfish Custom string/X99 I put on the Ritual .. so it looks like the Glory Nocks will be the ones I use this season .... I do like seeing the impact point better and easier to find the arrow after a pass thru or during a tracking job ... btw, I do like the way the Glory Nocks turn off, I hated the fact that with Nocturnals, if you push them on the serving to far, they turned on, then a be-och to turn off using a knife tip, etc. .....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use nockturnals and never had a issue. I have a super light setup at 58lbs (maxes out 60lb limbs) and 385 grain arrows. So I guess I don’t have much to abuse them with. Did have one break off in a deer but I’ve had normal nocks do that. I have only used them a few seasons and really like them. I like knowing where my arrow is in this final minutes as it’s getting dark. AIDS in the recovery for faster field to hang time

5. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a colorblind person I have to say I hate not to have them. I use nocturnals and the biggest issue I have had is pulling out a little easy on some of the universal fit ones. I put the tiniest spot of adhesive on them and line them up and that fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is a shame the Idaho committee has their heads in the sand. It is frustrating for all those in the know. In Alaska with minimum population, signs are required and checked. It is safer for others unaware of traps and bear bait stations. In reference to lighted nocks, it is more to locate the game after the shot; humane thing to consider. Idaho is beautiful country, enjoy and good luck hunting

8. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used them for a long time and never had any issues with them. I got a new Triax and the arrows I built I built without a lighted nock in mind. When I put some in to see how they flew they were hitting low right every time so I just switched back.

9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I finally ordered two packs of Nockturnals for my Gold Tip arrows. I really wanted blue since it’s the o my color I see well, but they were out of stock everywhere, so I went with green. Might as well be white to me.

They came in while I was at my son in law’s to do some fishing.

I put three on a little while ago. They fit my arrows just as precisely as my GT nocks.

I went outside with six arrows. Three with Nocturnals and three with regular GT nocks. There was no noticeable difference in flight or impact point, but I only shot out to 30 yards.

I’ve heard some mention that they are a pain to turn off. I don’t think that’s the case at all. Well, if you shoot them without a pocket knife or something with a small point in your pocket then yeah, I can see it being a problem. Then again, if you buy Nocturnals, read the instructions and go shoot them without taking something along to turn them off you kinda deserve a hard time.

I just grab my little pocket knife, flip the little slider and its off.

I’ll put five of them on the arrows in my hunting quiver and perhaps I won’t lose as many arrows this season.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a green laser to move the deer off when they will not leave my stand area, that is why I will never use green lit nocks.

LittleChief likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot lighted nocks in a couple years. However, after reading through the comments it looks like I am ordering some Glory Nocks from 3 Rivers today. The last time I bought them, I forget which brand, you had to ever so slightly pull the entire nock out just a smidge, did not care for that style, total junk.

LittleChief likes this.
  12. P17

P17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Although their not blue, they will still light up, which hopefully will provide you the edge to locate arrow after pass thru. Good luck hunting and be safe

LittleChief likes this.
  13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like Lumenoks.

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That was my thinking as well.

Good luck to you also. :tu:

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, with any luck they won’t be shining green after the shot anyway. Not sure what color green light shining through blood makes, but it won’t be green. :lol:

16. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    The best ones I have ever used strobe between red and blue. I can actually see them even in brush when it’s dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

LittleChief likes this.
  17. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any idea what brand they are that strobe?

18. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    entropyfx likes this.