if draw length is too long

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Aug 9, 2020.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    if your draw length was too long what would you expect to see on your targets?

serious question

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was shooting today and noticed a pattern in my "misses" so i set my cell phone up to record me shooting.

back track Im 6'3 6'4 ish
    when I bought my first bow the guy in the shop told me i was a 30 inch draw so i always went withnit.

today was the first time i watched myself shoot and I need to do 1 of 2 things

1. shorten draw length
    2. extend my bow arm further

looking at this was shocking, nock location makes me look about an inch over drawn. Ive been shooting like this for years

Attached Files:

3. Husani77

Husani77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Measure your arms tip to tip then minus 15 and then divide by 2 to get a rough DL. A shop would have a precise measurement. You do look shorter.

5. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel I am in the same situation as you, little long draw but I have been able to find an anchor point that works for me with my hand resting along my jaw. I will have to go to a pro after this season as I am already locked in haha.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While your nock does look like it's back too far when you're anchored, your drawing arm elbow I'd think would be quite a bit below your wrist if you were really that much too long on the DL. I wouldn't go off those videos due to the downward aiming angle. It's much better to evaluate when you are anchored with the arrow level, when the target is about at your shoulder height.

Looking at you aiming at a target quite a bit below you, you are dropping your bow arm to get the sights on target rather than bending at the waist to do so. You should draw and anchor level and then bend at the waist to bring your sights to the POA.

Before changing anything I'd look at a drawn and anchored pic of yourself aiming at a shoulder height target.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends, for a right-handed shooter I would look for random left hits after your all dialed in.