My grandfather, glad he's not here.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know that sounds awful. But I am glad he's not here to witness the things that are happening to the country he fought for, stormed the beach at Normandy for in 1944. He was a tough SOB. He was one of just 3 out of 53 to survive in his platoon. He passed on a football scholarship to join the navy right out of high school. He came home and married my grandmother and was married until he died. 56 years. He got a job at the plant and worked 45 years. never complained. He drank, a lot . But never talked about that war or made excuses. He just loved his country and his family. These libtards today would get in a fetal position and beg for a safe space... I miss him, but his heart would brake to see this crap.

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your grandfather was gd hero. I feel mine would've thought the same. He was in the pacific on a battleship, drank a bit much too but sounds the same. Anytime I start bitching about this or that he comes to mind and I just thank my lucky stars I got it easy thanks to men like our grandfathers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did not grow up appreciating history as I do now. Mistake!!
    Them fellas DESERVE respect. Sadly, I did not as a youngster.

Vabowman likes this.
  4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    That whole generation, blacks and whites were better than us and the future. Yeh there were some racial prejudices but in the end everyone pulled their weight and we overcame much of that. The 70s, 80s and even some of the 90s were great years for most Americans if they went after it. The 2000's and beyond have been a disaster. Very few tough individuals left. I was born in 1975 and I wish I was born in 1955!

jonderrs7 and ash d like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I left the charger for my laptop at work so sometime saturday I was down, I left my cell phone on the counter too. Life in a little town is pretty quiet if you can turn off the noise. It is like going back 40 years in time.

6. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Grandfather's story is a little different than yours but I agree that generation endured more than we can fathom and we are letting their hard work burn in the dumpster.

He was born in 1929 in Yugoslavia, his family owned and ran a grist mill. When Hitlers army invaded the essentially became gypsies, living in culverts, outdoors, and scrounging for food. His parents saved up enough money to get their kids out of Europe to America. He left for the US in 1951 with a 2nd grade education, knew little English and never saw the elders in his family again. He understood working hard and after coming through the port of New Orleans he made his way to Minnesota where he took a job at local machine shop as a tool and die maker. He walked to and from work, came in early and stayed late to learn English from the other workers. After saving his money for nearly two decades he moved north to manage a resort in the lakes area, he purchased the resort a few years later. When the resort money went dry he went back into the manufacturing business starting a company in the 80's which is still running today and employs almost 200 people.

Today's mentality that if something doesn't fall your way, just piss and moan until someone coddles you is starting to rear its ugly head. We knew it was coming for a long time, today we are seeing it and tomorrow the snowball will pick up speed if we don't take action.

7. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love to hear other stories of parents or grandparents in this time frame.

Meanwhile an Illinois law maker is looking to abolish History class in schools...

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could say the same for my grandfather. He was in a sub during WW2. The greatest generation wouldn't have tolerated this garbage during their day.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not back in the day there were old folks complaining how the current generation wasn't up to snuff....
    These threads make me chuckle

dprsdhunter likes this.
  10. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    trial153, I disagree. respectfully of course. I mean I am sure there were some. But I can't imagine the generation that I teach today going through that. Just look around you at this covid deal.. people getting depressed over not being social...come on man

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    And see people all the time stepping up and doing what what needs to be done. There were all ways slackers and there those that stepped up to the plate and did what what needed. Times change, peoples needs and skilled set changes...but the complaining and lamenting about the current crop remains.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are correct; there are always doers and do nothings. The difference today versus times in the past is that now the do nothings are celebrated as if they have accomplished something.

greatwhitehunter3 and Hotrod9 like this.
  13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    yup. in those days you were shunned for such behavior, now you are a social justice warrior!

Hotrod9 likes this.
  14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry Boys I guilty of it at a times, but this tread is good example Rosy Retrospection. Stay well my friends !

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I do too. But I do believe that people were much tougher in those days. They had to be. they didn't have what we have today and life was harder work on the day to day for most

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And the generation before them had it tougher, so goes life.

My kids will have it easier than me and that’s fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Condolences and best wishes to you and your family. This October will be 4 years now since my dad has passed. Every time I hunt, I know he's right there with me. They may leave us in body but they'll never be lost in our hearts. Have comfort in knowing he's in a better place.

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :deadhorse:

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I fear you are overly optimistic.
    Sandbox wars aside which in 20 years have only caused about as many American deaths as one bad day in 1863; you have lived through the time of greatest peace and prosperity since 1946-1964. We are due.

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  20. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I was not alive until 1972