Best bang for buck Rangefinder?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Casey J Fosbenner, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Casey J Fosbenner

Casey J Fosbenner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I need to purchase a rangefinder for this season. Have always just guessed ranges but missed 2 deer last year due to wrong range. Need one just for archery primarily so only really used for 50 YDS or less. Suggestions?

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Bushnell Truth for a couple years and it worked great. Was for archery only and only ranged up to about 200 yards. Unfortunately I lost it and bought a new one. New one I bought was the Vortex Ranger 1300 so I could use at longer distances for gun hunting too.

Found this Bushnell on Amazon. Not the one I had but they make pretty good stuff. 4 stars out of 44 reviews and it's $129.99:
    https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tro...chery&qid=1596515571&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-16

The Vortex is $329 on Amazon but you don't need to spend that much money really. The Bushnell ranges out to 850 yards.

3. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get one with a red display. I will never go back to a black display. I have the Sig 1600.

4. Husani77

Husani77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Halo XRT 7 and I have to say I love it. Switches colors, I still have the battery that came in it when I bought it over a year and a half ago. I also use it for golf as well. Great rangefinder. $99

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I used a Halo rangefinder a couple of times. Biggest piece of junk I ever held in my hand. Maybe your experience was different than mine, but you couldn't pay me to use one of those.

If you can afford it, the Vortex Ranger is a solid unit that won't let you down. It has a red-lighted display, which is a HUGE benefit for bowhunting. I don't think I could ever go back to a rangefinder with a black display. The Ranger can be found for around $350.

However, if the budget doesn't allow it, the Vortex Impact is a solid little unit that won't break the bank. The only downside is the black display, which is hard to read on dark targets in the forest or in low light. The Impact is around $175.

grommel, Humpythahunter and youngcd12 like this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second Justin on this. I remember saying "Hell how can I go wrong with a $100 ranger" took less then a season to realize to never skimp on optics. The unit still worked to this day but the number display is faint and the distance changes each time you trigger it. Can't complain much though. Buy Walmart $hit and you kinda have to expect a certain level of excellence.

Humpythahunter likes this.
  8. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Halo with built in angle calculator, I've ranged and made shots out to 517 yards with rifle using it. I think I paid $89 for it. Can't beat that in my opinion

Humpythahunter likes this.
  9. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have and have used for about 3 seasons the Nikon Acculon. $189 at Cabelas. Works great for me. I don't have the issue with the black read out. Never really thought about it being hard to read or anything. I have also never used one with a red read out. Good luck in your search!

10. Steven Dearden

Steven Dearden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed!

11. Isaac Paulakonis

Isaac Paulakonis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bass Pro and Cabelas are having a sale on the IQ Define Pro Rangefinding sight... Normly $500, but it is on sale for $200 right now. I picked one up, and as long as you have the patience to go through the setup process, it is really nice having a rangefinder built into the sight! I'd definitely take a look at buying it before it goes off sale.

12. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed Justin. I got a Halo last season, can't even see through the damn thing!! Never again!

SkylarPreston likes this.
  13. IH122

IH122 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a vortex ranger 1300, has the ARC compensation for bow hunting or rifle shots up and down the mountains here in Montana. 1300 is a little much for most but I think they have a 850 also. Kinda pricey but I also wanted the vortex warranty.

SkylarPreston likes this.
  14. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex Impact. Good balance between quality and price. Warranty is best in business.

15. KiilopD

KiilopD Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’d say SIG is the best all-around while Vortex or Bushnell rangefinders can be the best bang for the buck in the same price range.

Bushnell Engage could be the most intriguing choice. However, this thing is very reflection sensitive. For archery shots I’ll range a tree 3 times and it will give me 3 different distances (give or take a couple yards) with same aim point.

The only drawback that tt won’t work in the rain. I doubt anyone going for bow hunting in thunderstorms but I never had much sense.

https://wildproofgear.com/best-rangefinders/ – anyway, all three rangefinders worth their money.

16. Robear of lockersley

Robear of lockersley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I second that.

Bought a cheap halo xl450 with just the black display, and wish I had spent a little more and got one with illuminated display.

I'd go with Leupold or vortex.

17. bro_drey

bro_drey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a sig kilo 2000 works perfect for me think is was like $239

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Practice more.