Marking deer stand location

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Recluse, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found a wildlife area near me that permits portable stands which can be left through the season. The caveat is: Placing the stand there does not guarantee you rights to the area (or your actual stand as I understand it)

That being said:

-Is there an app that can mark the exact location of the stand? Because I imagine at 4am in the dark, it won’t be as easy to find

-Do they make locks for ladder stands ? Or will a good ol steel cable and padlock deter most? (Loaded question I know)

thanks

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Huntstand app

Fix likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Free app huntstand all day. Pay app Onx

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What they said above for apps, if I was you I would scout and go mobile with your setup, climber or stand w/ sticks. I do this on all properties outside of my farm. You don’t want to scout and figure the deer out and then leave a stand to educate someone else that may come by, also as far as locking a stand to a tree. People will take anything they want no matter how locked you have it, bolt cutters and battery power tools make it far too easy. I had a tree cut down once on public so someone could steal my Camera that was locked. Good luck!

Fix likes this.
  5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would feel more comfortable just using a climber and packing it in/out. No worries about theft or showing someone else your spot, except maybe having your tree limbed ahead of time.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    why not just back pack in a stand and sticks like many of us do (I do this every hunt/Lone Wolf Alpha II and 4 sticks and gear) ... Use a good linemans rope/harness to set it or use a climber (limits some good locations however) .... btw, ALWAYS use a safety harness when you get in the stand and when using a climber going up and down ...

you can use Brite Eyes to mark your trail in, spaced 20-30 yd or more apart, set at knee level so your not flashing a flashlight all over the place walking in ... Hunters Specialties make reflective twist ties that also work good on small branches ....

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bet is to learn your woods and the route in to your chosen stand location. As mentioned, you don't want to be leaving any sign of your presence.

8. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a few ladder stands out year round on private land with heavy chains and padlocks. On public it's best to pack a stand in if you can and not advertise your spot. Public land is pretty great except for the public part...

9. Stickman

Stickman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HuntStand, HuntWise, BaseMap