summer sausage recipe

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Grouch, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    after numerous efforts to make my own seasoning mix, I can not seem to get it exactly right, Looking for others great summer sausage ingredients ! No I do not wish to buy commercial mix, Wish to blend my own TX

Happy likes this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a mix, family secret. Sorry but not sorry. However, I will share one trick. I always cut and clean my chunks for grind and freeze it for a minimum of thirty days. When I go to thaw, it really sheds the blood. Imo that really helps improve the flavor.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    TX for nothing okiebob ! As if me in Wisconsin will let the cat outta the bag and hurt your family, I suppose then you gotta kill me also ?

Okiebob likes this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll tell you what. Don't use black pepper and use White pepper about a third less than your recipe calls for. Always buy fresh spices, yes the older the spice the less effect. Coriander and allspice, I couldnt tell you a ratio I just know when it's right by smell, some year it's a touch more coriander and some years it's a touch more allspice but most recipes call for equal parts. Fresh pork fat makes a huge difference. And once again, my big trick is freezing for at least thirty days to make it shed blood. We do natural casing and put less than an hour of smoke on it daily when it is hanging to cure.

oldnotdead and trial153 like this.
  5. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSSeasoning Blue Ribbon Garlic. family loves it 25% beef 25% pork and 50% venison.

01silverado likes this.
  6. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was told to watch my salt intake. Borderline high blood pressure. Shying away from premixes and ingredients I can't pronounce. We tried a half dozen homemade ones from the internet. Bleh. Got this one from a smoking forum. Fantastic!

You don't have to be super religious with the smoking instructions. Just be patient! It could take around 12 hrs to get it to 155. Depending on how cold it was when you put it in. DO NOT turn the smoker up trying to rush it. Never get above 190 or it will melt the fat in the pork and ruin it. Yep, brother did that the first time. If you don't want to commit to that long of a smoke, use the 1 1/2" casings. They will reach 155 much faster and they fit a Ritz rather well.

We buy pork butts by the case for processing venison. Debone and grind through the medium plate. Same as the venison. Thats what we use for this recipe. 50/50 mix. You can halve it or double it, it turns out great.

Summer Sausage From Big Guy

10 # Meat, 5 lbs venison/moose, 5 lbs. pork
    5 TBS salt
    2 tsp. cure#1
    2 TBS. Onion Powder
    2 TBS. Garlic Powder
    2 TBS. Black Pepper coarsely ground
    1 TBS. Mustard Seed
    2 TBS. Sugar
    2 tsp. Nutmeg
    2 tsp. Basil
    2 tsp. Coriander Seed
    1 cup ice water
    1/2 Cup milk powder

Grind all meats thru a 3/16” plate. Add spices and ice water. Mix well then regrind thru 3/16” plate.
    Stuff into LEM 2 1/2”x20” casings. Refrigerate for 24 hrs. Let them reach room temp before smoking.
    Place in Smoker at 130 degrees F. for 2 Hours. No smoke.
    turn smoker up to 150 smoke for 4 hrs. with a heavy smoke
    Increase smoker to 175 and smoke until internal temp is 155
    Shower with cold water and hang at room temp for a couple of hours.
    Refrigerate overnight.

Notes:

I just grind the meats once through the medium plate and mix.

This is great just as it is, but some people like more garlic. You can up the garlic powder or use granulated garlic. That's what I do now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    oldnotdead and Shocker99 like this.
  7. Lina Roth

Lina Roth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a recipe for a homemade summer sausage seasoning blend that you could try:

Ingredients:
    • 2 tbsp kosher salt
    • 2 tbsp mustard seeds
    • 2 tbsp garlic powder
    • 2 tbsp onion powder
    • 1 tbsp black pepper
    • 1 tbsp paprika
    • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
    • 1 tsp dried thyme
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp coriander
    • 1/4 tsp allspice
    Instructions:
    1. In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
    2. Store the seasoning blend in an airtight container until ready to use.
    When you are ready to make your summer spicy sausage dip, you can use this seasoning blend to flavor the meat. Simply mix the seasoning blend with your ground meat (usually a combination of beef and pork), stuff it into casings, and smoke or bake it until fully cooked. Adjust the amount of seasoning to your taste, and feel free to experiment with different spices and herbs to make it your own.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  8. liorahearon

liorahearon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a recipe for homemade summer sausage seasoning mix that you can try:

Ingredients:
    • 2 tablespoons mustard seed
    • 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
    • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
    Directions:
    1. In a dry skillet, toast the mustard seeds and black peppercorns over medium heat until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
    2. In a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the mustard seeds and black peppercorns into a coarse powder.
    3. In a bowl, combine the ground mustard seed and black pepper with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
    4. Store the seasoning mix in an airtight container in a cool, dry place until ready to use.
    To use the seasoning mix, combine it with ground meat (such as beef, pork, or a combination) and other desired ingredients, then stuff into casings and smoke or bake until cooked through.

I hope this recipe helps you achieve the perfect blend of seasoning for your summer sausage. Enjoy!

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. 01silverado

01silverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    that sounds good i might have to give that a try

Rowdyray likes this.
  10. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You won't regret it. Nobody believes us when we tell them we make it ourselves.