100 grain or 125 grain broadhead?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Recluse, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a draw weight of right around 60lbs, possibly slightly below.

Right now I’m using Black Eagle Outlaws (350/.005). I think they were cut to around 31.6”. As I have a 30” draw length

I was told these arrows are 100 grain and that I should select a 100 grain broadhead as well. Just trying to get additional suggestions ? I thought the 350 stamped on the arrow denoted 350 grain?

Also: Should I go with mechanical ?

thanks

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should go 100 for BH. The arrow is 350 which is it's spine ( how much the arrow flexes) you should not shoot mech with that set up. Any fixed would be fine.

Recluse likes this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To the OP ...... the .350 is the spine/stiffness of the arrow, not the weight ... you can look up the grain per inch of that arrow by going to their website and then multiply that by your arrow length .. then add in the insert/nock weights and weight of your vanes .. then add in your BH weight for your total arrow weight..... also, arrow length is NOT determined by ones draw length ... for ex, I have a full 30" draw and shoot a 28 inch arrow ... I cut my arrows 1" to 1.25" in front of my rest when it is in the up position, or if ones uses a Biscuit, in front of the bristles, this is fine for rest's with an arrow capture capabilities (keeps the arrow from falling off or out of the prongs), traditional/recurve/longbow shooters generally cut in front of the riser for safety reasons ... for compounds, arrows can be cut shorter also to increase the stiffness of an arrow, weight added to the front weakens an arrows spine, weight added to the rear stiffens the arrow slightly , such as using a lighted nock, wraps, heavier vanes .... if one is border line in spine between two arrows, generally opt for the stiffer arrow as it helps BH flight and penetration .... I shoot a slightly stiffer arrow and it bare shaft tunes perfectly (I bare shaft tune my bow/arrows) and I get great fixed head flight that have same POI with my field points ..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the explanation

5. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What weight field tips are you shooting? With your draw weight, i think you could use the 125's but should match your field points.

Recluse likes this.
  6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also would go with a 100 grain tip, you're right on the very edge of needing to go to the next stiffer spine with your set up. The Black eagle spine chart for your set up shows a 350 spine with a 31" arrow and a 300 spine for a 32" arrow. Adding weight to the front of an arrow reduces its spine, so go with the 100 grain tips.
    According to Black Eagle info:
    Arrows are 8.6 grains per inch. You cut them at 31.6", so 8.6 x 31.6 = 270.9 grains.
    Nocks are 10 grains.
    Inserts are 14 grains.
    2" vanes are 7 grains each, if you went 3 fletch that's 21 grains.

Add everything up, including a 100 grain tip and your arrows should be around 416 grains total weight.

Recluse likes this.
  7. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am using 100 gr. Headed to the shop tomorrow to get everything checked out.

Mod-it. Thanks man, that’s really helpful

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That damn @Mod-it knows his stuff

Recluse likes this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it won't tune and is acting like the spine is weak, you likely have room to trim the arrow length down some. That will help.