Baffled by broadheads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NorthmanJW, Aug 2, 2020.

1. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently decided to switch to two blade broadheads. Got my bow back from getting it restrung and tuned it today. 1"- 1.5" groups with field points at 20 yards. Once I threw on the broadheads, (two different kinds, same weight as field point) I was shooting a 5 foot group with one every now and then hitting dead on. I'm thinking my 2" blazer vanes aren't enough for the broadheads wind catching ability? 65lbs draw weight, 29 1/2" arrow, 300 spine, 50gr insert with 125gr head, total of 175gr up front.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like a lot of weight up front for your draw weight and the spine you are at ... did you spin the arrows, did you bare shaft tune ... any vane contact ... sounds like the cams/a cam is off/ timing wise .... heck, I'm shooting 300's with 132 grs up(100 gr bh/fp, insert and 20 gr fact weight) front and 61 lbs/30" draw ...

3. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    The bow got tuned, cams and everything, spine tested the arrows, paper tuned, everything was good. No contact or anything. Like I said it's got me baffled because shooting field points of the same weight, it's a tack driver.

4. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds mental. Target panic?

5. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny

6. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are the blades right or left only beveled? If this is counter to your vane direction, it would throw things off. The field points are the exact same weight as the broadheads?

Wind likely won't create a 5-foot grouping. Do you have any other broadheads of the same mass you can put on the arrows?

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this sounds silly but have someone else shoot it. This will do two things.
    1. Rules you out as a variable
    2. Let's you watch to see if what's happening

SkylarPreston likes this.
  8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what BH's ?? ..... try a different broadhead ... 3 blade or 4 blade ... still sounds like a weak spine with all that weight up front ... 250's seem like a better choice .. what fletchings are on the arrows ?? ...

9. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting 1/2" tall 2" blazers. Tried grizzly single bevel and German Jaeger two blade. Vanes are straight, I had 3 set ups with different inserts and interchanged everything. Nothing would fly but the field point that are the same weight, that makes me think the spine isn't the issue. I think the fletchings just aren't adequate to counter act the broadheads. Im going to refletch with bigger/longer vanes, depending on how that goes I'll then mess with my poundage and try all setups again.

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Vanes are straight" ..... well there ya go ... you need a good helical to spin those arrows to stabilize them, with out a helical, your shooting a knuckle ball, those blades are controlling the arrow, not the vanes ... you never mentioned what brand arrows you are using .... if your using 'skinny' arrows, put on as much of an 'offset' as you can to keep full vane contact, if your using regular sized carbon or such and no matter what vane you decide to use, go full helical ....... thank me later .. ;0)

11. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I take that back. Just looked at them and my fletching jig. Right helical fletchings on Beman ICS 300 spine arrows. 9.6 gpi

12. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Big BH's need larger/taller vanes, as long as you are getting clearance and no vane contact ..... good luck, let us know what happens

13. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If "they" turned your bow, it is not tuned. The only way your bow it tuned to you is ...... you shooting it during the tuning process.

14. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot rage two blade but I can still shoot a fixed head without any change. To me, after paper tuning and getting bullet holes I walk away content and confident. As long as I can shoot a muzzy or slick trick the same as my rage to the same distance I don't fret over anything else. It's worked for me for years. Some fixed heads especially bulky ones can be a pain.

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are underspined, try a
    250 spine. I draw 68lbs with 26” arrows and 225 grains up front. I need a 250 spine. Also, consider cutting down the length of the arrow if possible. The end of the arrow should just barely stick out past the riser. I can shoot 300 spine with field point. But need a 250 when I put the single bevel broadhead on.

upload_2020-8-4_14-55-57.jpeg

16. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be ordering some 250's along with some different fletchings to play around with. My arrows are cut at the edge of the riser/shelf. Seems like I'll be accidently acquiring multiple setups

cantexian likes this.
  17. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a ton of weight up front for a 300 spine 29.5" long at 65 lbs. I also feel you're under-spined.
    For fletching, don't forget you can try a 4 fletch with those Blazer's, a 4 fletch 2" vane is about the same as a 3 fletch 4" vane setup.

18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a 26 inch arrow? With 2 hanging over. Damn son what are you 4'6

Vabowman likes this.
  19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5'8" with T-Rex arms. But it is 26" carbon to carbon. With nock, half-out insert and field point it is 27.5." With the single-bevel on it, 29.5" I intentionally cut my arrows so the carbon ends at the edge of the riser since the arrows have the half out. It keeps the spine from being too weak.

Fix likes this.
  20. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I was contemplating stripping one and fletchings with 4 to see what happens. I've never been this technical with my stuff, I just bought the cheapest arrows the store had, screwed some muzzys on and killed ****. Now that I'm venturing into all this stuff I see I have ALOT to learn.

Fix likes this.