How prepared are you for archery season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tree Stand Whacker, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Tree Stand Whacker

Tree Stand Whacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest I am feeling like I'm at a 5/10. I was late on everything, and I still have quite a few stands to hang, and multiple stands that need to be trimmed out and safety checked. There is a lot to do with the fast approaching Wisconsin opener. I also like to give as much time as possible for my property to settle down and have no human impact before the opener. I don't have a large property, but here is a video on some of the work I do on my 60 acre piece!

2. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started shooting in early July and feel confidence growing. Hitting 30 yards in the vitals each shot. 40 yards, most shots and 50 many shots. Will begin hitting the woods and hang a couple stands in Sept, when it is legal to hang them on public land in PA. Scouted a bunch end of last season and shed hunting so, feel the spots are good. Trail cameras have been running since late winter so, will need to swap cards, batteries and such but, waiting for a cool morning to do that.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If the season opened tomorrow I feel confident I would be able to kill a deer if it was within 30 yards. And close enough to one of the three stands I have ready.

On an overall scale of where I will be by October 1, I would say I'm a 3/10. I'm waaaaaay behind.

tynimiller and dnoodles like this.
  4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really, Really ready. Just hung 2 stands at the golf course. Put up a couple cameras and checked all my stands and replaced some straps on a few of them at my local property. Planning on heading down to my coastal property next weekend to do the same there. The food plots I planted are going strong, except for one which has about 1/4 of it completely bare because I accidentally spread a bag of pre-emergent instead of fertilizer. On a related note... half of my lawn is reallllly, really green but also full of weeds.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just need to shoot a little more. Other than that, Im wearing the same clothes, using the same tree stand, and virtually all the same arrows and broadheads I had left over from last year. I scouted a good amount this past off season and Im in shape. Spotted a couple shooters in different public land spots last month and will key in on those areas and other buck bedding areas right out of the gate.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't shot at all other than trying to bare fletch tune new arrow set ups. No time. Every time I have had time, weather was bad. Doesn't do me much good to shoot indoors.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot, I need to do that this year. I am going to buy a half dozen more arrows and bare shaft tune them. I enjoy doing it and it makes the switch back and forth from broadheads to field points that much closer to accurate.

pick00l likes this.
  8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    0/10 ready.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not ready.. not even close.. I mean mentally I can't wait, but reality? nah not there yet

10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One box of carbon shafts still sitting in the mancave to be cut, inserts installed, bare shaft tuned, fletched and have broadheads mounted.. which also means I need to sight the bow in.

Just ordered a half dozen arrows from 3 rivers for the recurve that I just ordered new limbs for..

So yeah, I have some prep to do in the next two months.

But I did get my Grizzlystik Alaskan 200gr single bevel broadheads ordered!

IH122, P17, Fix and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tuned, dialed in and all but 2 stands moved. I do have to throw radishes and turnips but that's a given.

12. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I base it on everything i was hoping to do for this season then 5/10. Otherwise I'm ready aside from one shooting lane I need to clear tomorrow. Fall food plot in a couple weeks, but that isn't really holding me back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just today I went to my main stand site to prep it. Brought my climber to get an exact hunting view, and cleared a few things that had grown since last season. Spent about three hours, because there were a couple small trees down that I had to deal with. Now I have everything set exactly the way I want it for the season.
    I also checked my 2 cams and swapped cards today, but still just the same small bucks that I've been seeing. I must say, I was dreading doing what I had to do today, but now that it's all done I have that all important CONFIDENCE!

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  14. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting 30 arrows a night since end of May, feeling good. All clothing is washed and treated is the permethrin in totes, main farm all stands are hung in my core spots, cleared lanes in some of my hang and hunt spots, Have cams out all over that prop and a couple mineral sites. Have been scouting urban deer a lot this year, locked into some dandy bucks, just trying to keep up with them and waiting till September 19th. Enjoying the calm b4 the storm!

15. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do all my scouting late winter and early spring. I shoot all year to keep me in shape. If I gain access to new properties I’ll go in on an early afternoon hang and hunt and back for the morning hunt then pull the stand. I guess I don’t really prep the same as some. I’m always ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing done no prep I'll get there. I have till the end of October not even going to try a plot this year, kinda pointless in ag country. I am brown it's down this season.

SkylarPreston likes this.
  17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ready to start now.....t minus two weeks and I will be in alaska

dnoodles, P17, Longdraw and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah isn't prep pack and call the outfitter?

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our season starts Sept. 12th here in NC and I would say I am 7/10. I have 2 more stands to hang. I have one I need to trim out. Other than that I am good. I will start shooting from an elevated position in the next week or so. With this triple digit heat, I can't get but so much done before I a wiped out!

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There isn't an outfitter.

dnoodles likes this.