Closing one eye when shooting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Recluse, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New to bows. I’m right handed , but a tad more left eye dominant. I have a right handed bow

If I use my left eye when looking through the peep sight , I shoot 2 feet to the left. If I squint my left eye and use my right , I can hit the bullseye (and around it) from close distances.

Is it common to need to close one eye ?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can shoot with both open or one closed but you should always shoot with dominant eye .

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you are left eye dominated shooting rt handed. Now just about EVERYONE will tell you to switch to a left handed bow. That this is easy with practice yada yada yada. Now that would be my sarcasm rearing it's head. The reason is, because I am left eye dominate and shoot rt handed. From the age of nine with a recurve. I'm 62 now and have tried switching to no avail. If your new and your muscle memory isn't set you can try.
    If it is completely foreign to you there are options. A different type of sight. I shoot instinctive always have, with the exception of trying a peep eliminator sight for left eye dominate shooters. To be honest I liked it for target but not hunting. Learning to shoot instinctive or just wearing an eye patch that you can flip down for a shot.
    Google and look into left eye, rt handed archers. Read up on what guys with this issue do. Don't sweat it to hard because one way or another things will click for you. No left bow? Go " shopping" and find some at shops that allow practice shots on potential buys.

Hidalgo likes this.
  4. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I find that if I make a conscious effort to close my left eye , I shoot well. A few times I forgot today and sent one into the woods ...As far as switching, not possible for me at this point. $1700 in

I like the eye patch idea. Didn’t know they made one that flips. Will google that

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    There are hunters out there that use eye patches...I just can't recall who at the moment but on hunting shows.
    Google archers that use eye patches, lots comes up.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As I'm sure you realize, whatever method you decide on to eliminate this problem, make sure you practice the heck out of it.
    If you plan to hunt I can guarantee this issue will show up when you are amped up with a nice critter standing in front of you. Auto pilot mode comes on when an animal is in front of you and your body will do what it is practiced at. If your left eye is open and uncovered it will take over.

It sucks when one side of your body is far and away your most agile and dominant, yet your opposite eye is the dominant. My oldest daughter is this way. I can't tell you how many times when I was teaching her to shoot that I would catch her leaning her head way over so she could look through the scope of her rifle with her left eye while shooting right handed. She tried and tried to shoot left handed and said no matter what it just felt really awkward. I could visually see it in her shooting form too. We practiced the heck out of her closing her left eye when shooting every single practice session.
    She now has herself programmed to close her left eye whenever she shoulders a rifle. When she went to boot camp she was in the top of her class in marksmanship. That may not be saying a whole bunch since a lot of young recruits have never even held a rifle, but she was proud...as was I of course.

oldnotdead and Recluse like this.
  7. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m RH shooter and left eye dominant. I’ve done this for 30 years with pistol, rifle and bow. Just squint left eye, right eye takes over and it will become so natural you won’t even think about it. Practice practice practice. Hold a finger up in front of your face and look at it, squint left eye and right eye will take over. You can do this in your daily life until it becomes so natural you won’t even realize your doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Hidalgo, oldnotdead and Recluse like this.
  8. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great story!

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I close one eye never been a problem. I don't get about the in the heat of the moment, if you no emotional self control bowhunting might not be for you.

Recluse likes this.
  10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He is new to a bow. He's going to get some jitters the first time he's presented with a shot.
    Feeling some excitement is what drives a person to want to hunt more than 3 times a year.
    :poke:

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Kidding right? Because I've been bow and gun hunting a long long time and I still get an involuntary reaction when a big boy or bear come into view on a hunt. It's not always an emotional thing but a adrenalin dump.
    It depends on the circumstance. Ive had a couple make me nearly pass out on stand with total muscle control collapse. Yet walked into a bear on the ground while working and stayed dead calm. Stayed calm when a huge 8 wide racked buck circled me on a trail and then walked up to within a couple(literally less than 6ft) of yards of me. Bobbed his head, lip curled, stomped then walked away.
    He should know that not always will his mind nervous system be under his perceived control.
    BTW reason you ALWAYS stay connected to our safety line,always.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it was the years as an incident commander on fires and being a crew boss. You have to be almost be bored with an intense situation so people don't panic around you. I am not saying that a big buck coming does make my heart pitter patter, but there is no paralysis.

oldnotdead likes this.