Moving up in draw weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Recluse, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a new bow (Hoyt Axius Alpha) at 60lb draw weight. I can pull it back without issue. I could not pull back 70lbs . Hoping down the road I can

That being said, I understand I can move to 70lbs, if the limbs are switched. Generally, what are the costs for this?

thanks

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I need to ask are you hunting bear,moose, elk, water buffalo? I'm trying to understand the need to increase your draw weight down the road. Please don't take that as sarcasm, that goes for all you guys. I just read so many posts of guys that have had shoulder issues, did therapy with recovering shoulder surgery patients. Many bow hunters that wished someone had pointed out many buck have been shot and recovered with lower draw weights.
    Personal experience, I love being able to draw and comfortably hold for the best shot. Relaxed,good breathing and confidence. I'll be bow hunting with my compound for many more years because of my low bow weight.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Recluse likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt swap limbs to bump up draw weight....just me, there is no reason to dump money into a limb swap. Shoot the 60 and be happy,

Recluse likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the draw range on your bow now? If you won't know you can ask a shop or max it out and have a shop test it.
    Not to be that guy but 60 will kill a deer at any range.

Recluse likes this.
  5. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Whitetail and Elk (eventually)..

I’m brand new to bows, so I figured 70# was the standard weight. I based this on what was available at my local shop. Every bow I picked up was 70#, even the low to mid range. A few were 60#

Appreciate the feedback gentlemen, will keep her at 60lbs

6. philip m cara

philip m cara Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having my limbs change as we speak on my Mathews ZXT and not for the same reason as you, I'm decreasing the poundage from 60-70 to 40-50lb limbs because at 72 I still bowhunt but I'm not as strong as I use to be and pulling the 60lb was getting too much for me, so the pro shop is charging me $250 for the complete job, heck it's cheaper than buying a new Mathews, and after 50 years of bowhunting I learned one important factor, accuracy is the main ingredient

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    oldnotdead and Recluse like this.
  7. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    33 yrs back I started shooting in the 75 lb range ... and have been lowering poundage ever since, esp. with the speeds and energy todays bows store .... The Elite Ritual 33 I have is a 70lb limb bow (great deal I couldnt pass), I am shooting it at 61 lbs after dropping it from the 64lbs I had it at ... with the right arrow and broadhead it is capable at that 61lbs of anything up to and including Moose or even Grizz ... as for Deer/Antelope/Elk, it waaay more than enough

Recluse likes this.
  8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My personal opinion is you need to be able to comfortably draw your bows weight in a lot different conditions. Sitting, standing, kneeling, when it's cold and...... hold that weight for 30 seconds to a minute. Target practice is one thing but animals have a mind of their own. They walk behind a bush, you draw and they stop behind the bush for what seems like forever while you wait for them to keep walking. 60lbs is plenty of draw weight. Don't get caught up in having your limbs cranked down so they are maxed out. I've seen videos of hunters miss out on great bucks because it's cold, their muscles are cold or can't draw their bow because they are bundled up in cold weather clothing. Even though both my bows have 70lbs limbs, I've never had the draw weight at more than 60.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. philip m cara

philip m cara Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If anyone likes and watches Ted Nugent bow hunt and talk( which I do) he never draws past 50lbs, and I would say he is pretty successful, not to mention all the great women bowhunters today
    P.C. US NAVY veteran 1964-1968

10. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I got it actually setup slightly below 60lbs and it’s very comfortable. Draw length at 30

Which grain broadhead should I be looking at? 125grain or 100?

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, that depends. What arrows are you shooting? What spine? Overall weight? Do you happen to know what speed your rig is with fore mentioned arrows