Sights with or without built in range finder

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Recluse, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What’s the consensus on the IQ sights w/built in range finders. Not worth the cost ? Worth it?
    Thanks

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO:
    If you sit in a tree or do some type of ambush hunting where you've had the time to zap everything before an animal has ever approached, not needed.

If you commonly go to unmarked yardage 3D shoots, or practice this way, and have taught yourself to be a decent judge of yardage and know that you are through practice and experience, not needed.
    This skill is perishable and needs practicing just as much as actually shooting your bow to keep your form in good shape. With my set up I know that I'm off by 5" if I misjudge by 5 yards. I'm still in the vitals of a whitetail if I'm holding center of vitals. Even more room on an elk, which is what 90% of my archery hunting time is spent on (I really enjoy traditional muzzleloader hunting whitetail). Through experience I know that my great yardage judging days I'm within 1 to 2 yards of actual, common days I'm within 3 yards, and bad days are 5 to 6 yards. I'm pretty confident in taking a judged yardage shot at an animal due to this.

If you do not very regularly practice judging yardage and stalk animals, call in animals, or any other situation where a shot may be offered at the spur of the moment, then they can save some movement and risk of spooking the animal by digging out your rangefinders and give you the confidence and ability to put the correct pin where it needs to be and hit that spot. Double if shooting a slower set up that puts you out of the vitals for your standard yardage judging error.

Also, anything electronic mounted to the bow is illegal in Idaho to hunt with, so know your regs for the state you're in.

Recluse likes this.
  3. Wibisono69

Wibisono69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great feedback thanks

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My experience with IQ.

Great idea. Poor quality, made over seas. I got one and had to send it back 3 times to get one that wasn't junk. I knew it was made overseas when I bought it. I thought for the cost of over $150, it would be good enough quality. Boy was I wrong.

1st one I couldn't move the pins. Never on my bow. Sent it back. Supposedly it had a broken frame, right out of the box.

2nd one was good for a few months but developed a rattle. I did everything the CS guy told me to look for. I took it apart a couple of times. Sent it back.

3rd one BEFORE I took it out of the package I saw the pins did not line up vertically. Not even close. Sent it back. I asked for a prepaid shipping label since I had to send the same product back for the 3rd time....NO WAY. That is when they suggested, since I again voiced my displeasure with the quality of IQ, I buy one of their sister company's sight, Sure Loc, a $400 sight. No thank you.

4th one seemed okay. I used it for a while. Then I bought a Black Gold. HUGE difference in quality. Cheaper and made in USA too.

IQ lost a customer for all their products. Couldn't email me a prepaid address label for returning their poor quality product 3 times?

Recluse likes this.