The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor and his wife came by on their every other day cruise, luckily they love my wife's rhubarb crisp so I got off cheap on the tow to the dock.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did a little research and thank you opossum for reaffirming what I heard about things to check before. I also buy the water pump kit rather than just the impeller.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, just missed it...

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rant Du jour...

Periodic micro managers.

I've worked with folks who scutinize every detail, a bit painful to get up to speed, but after a while you build an awareness and anticipation. These are the 'Every dog needs to pee on the fence post' type, who get that emotional security from 'contributing'

My beef is with the random dude, who probably just took the reaming from their manager for being dis-engaged. There is no pleasing these asses.

virginiashadow, cantexian and Sota like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My beef is employees you take to the wood shed for not CCing the rep on every single project in their territory, as well as taking orders for parts in an effort to get commission and taking away work the guy that does parts orders. Is it micro managing if I have to remind the clown weekly, and I now monitor his action tracker activity every day.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is new to me. I was not pissed at the pontoon just the jack ass sitting in front.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For the love of God people, it's 2020. Learn how to use presentation mode, if you're using powerpoint...

cantexian and Germ like this.
  8. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should’ve come back with an extra life jacket?

Sota likes this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got a call for tomorrow. 323 miles to location and 323 home. For faulty printer on ATM.
    That's right guys I'll be driving 12hrs tomorrow in total just to extract a effin paper jam. Can't wait for my guy to get back from knee surgery so I can stay home a bit.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The excitement of business travel...

Sota likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This has to be the most useless nonfunctioning button ever created. Legends say that 30 years ago they really worked and they still do in ritzy upscale hotels and some non rent controlled buildings.. but not at any hotel I've stayed at on work trips. 20200716_205618.jpg

Hotrod9 and Sota like this.
  12. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try holding that button next time your going up in a busy hotel and see if it goes all the way to your floor without stopping

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They actually do work, but not while the elevator is in the normal service mode most people are accustomed to. It is active when the elevator is in certain special modes, such as Independant Service, Fire Service Phase 2, or Attendant Service. In all those modes, the doors don’t automatically close so if you were to just get in and push the button for whatever floor you were heading to it would just illuminate the button you hit and continue sitting there with the doors open and doing nothing until you hit the close button to shut the doors.

Most of those modes require a key switch and are used for special situations where the elevator is being used for something other than just moving people from one floor to another.

Independent service is usually activated when the elevator being used as a freight elevator so that once you get to the floor you selected, it will waits there with the doors open while you load stuff into the cab, then once it’s loaded you can hit the close button, travel to your destination floor, and it’ll wait there on that floor with the doors open while you unload your stuff.

Attendant service is usually for a fancy place where they have an actual elevator attendant who controls the elevator. For instance there is a VIP on a floor, the attendant can head to that floor and wait with the doors open until the VIP gets there and is ready to go.

Fire service phase 1 is activated when there is a fire alarm and sends all the elevators to the lobby so people can get off. Phase 2 is activated by a firefighter by turning one, or more commonly 2, key switches. Its pretty obvious why a fire fighter wouldn’t want the elevator to close the doors and leave after he gets off it with a fire nearby. Also on that mode, the doors don’t open automatically either, that way if the firefighter gets to a floor and there happens to be a fire right outside the elevator, he can pick a different floor to go to instead of getting torched when the elevator automatically flings open the doors.

Also, worth noting that most of the keys for those special modes, particularly independent service, are standardized where all the manufacturer uses the same key, or only 2 or 3 different keys, for all their elevators. And they aren’t usually restricted keys and can be purchased pretty cheap from places such as eBay... so pretty much a key ring with a dozen keys will give you your own personal elevator in just about any building in America. Also, if you own an RV, have a key to one of those locking thermostat covers, the right brand of fire alarm system, certain brands of circuit breaker boxs, as well as countless other locking cabinets or enclosures then you probably already have one of the keys.... it’ll have CH751 stamped on it. If you do have it you should make a habit of trying it out whenever you come across any small locking enclosures, key switches, etc that you aren’t supposed to have access too. It will blow your mind all the things that use that same key and how many of those things are the type of stuff that absolutely should not be using a common key that probably 1-in-10 people happen to already have on their key ring for something else. Access control systems, security systems, the backup keys for keypad and biometric pistol cases/gun safes. That little key will open all sorts of highly secure things that you aren’t supposed to open. Just be careful that you aren’t opening anything that could be considered illegal for you to open.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sent[/QUOTE]
    You sell elevators bro? Lol. Can you get me one of those keys? And full disclosure, I was pissed bc these two little 20 something lovebirds jumped in with me, I was jamming the hell outa that button trying to get them doors to close so I didnt have to witness the impending carnage..

GregH and Sota like this.
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And full disclosure, I was pissed bc these two little 20 something lovebirds jumped in with me, I was jamming the hell outa that button trying to get them doors to close so I didnt have to witness the impending carnage..[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Arkansas, where the worst of us do the most reproducing.

GregH, dnoodles and Okiebob like this.
  16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, NW Arkansas may have a hard time getting me to leave, I'm digging it up here and already looking at a property in Bella Vista.

dnoodles likes this.
  17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the top three things Arkansas has going for it is that it is not Mississippi, Louisiana, or Oklahoma.

[​IMG]

virginiashadow, dnoodles and Okiebob like this.
  18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do chuckle when folks refer to this neck of the woods as NWA. I'm always like oh yeah with a big grin.

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was gonna shoot the bow since it's 5ish...

Maybe I'll wait a few hrs :( Screenshot_20200717-170411_AccuWeather.jpeg

virginiashadow and dnoodles like this.
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been looking at cheap housing recently. Like if I want to retire in about 5 years. Some nice 130k houses in those southern states.....could even pull it off with my retirement and being retired at 51. If I hadnt met my wife Id be retired at 50 years old and living in the woods. At 23 yrs old all my friends got great jobs out of college. I immediately started thinking of ways to not give a S. Wanted to drive south to Florida and learn how to be a fishing guide. Ain't nothing wrong with a bunch of blue collar hillbillies in the southern states. :)