Help Me Pick A Clothing Layering System. Please!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bama_Hunter88, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m fairly new to bow hunting. I really enjoy it and want to strictly bow hunt this year. The only problem is once it gets below 40 I have to wear so many clothes I can’t shoot a bow. I’ve always wore cheap camo. I’m tired of freezing.
    So this year I’m buying a full quality setup to last the whole season here in Alabama which is usually 60 degrees down to 30 degrees. Occasionally it gets to 20.
    I’m on a budget so I can’t just go crazy ordering camo. What would you recommend?
    I’m more concerned with the late season stuff. Something I can sit out in a 20 degree windchill comfortably without looking like a marshmallow man.
    I don’t do a lot of walking so that’s not a concern.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem, from growing up as a kid into my mid 30’s now. I would always freeze in cold windy weather, I tried multiple company’s throughout the years and I finally got what I feel is the best clothing, Sitka gear. I know you said your on a budget, but you can go on BH.com classified and archery talk classifieds and find gently used gear at a fraction of the cost of brand new. I got 90% of my items this way and saved a ton. I have never dressed so minimal and been so warm in my life. There are other companies that offer good clothing, the main thing is to get a good merino base layer lower and upper. Then for your outerwear get garments that are truly WIND PROOF, if you block the wind you will retain the heat against your body. Typical layer for cold is merino base, insulation layer then outer layer (wind proof), also consider snow and rain, it’s good to have an out layer that has gortex, but with gortex it’s a lil noisy/crinkly in very cold. It is more annoying to me than the deer, haven’t been busted by it. I would just go on different company’s sites and look at clothing systems and see what would fit what your looking to do and the price point you want to spend, then look for them in classified or eBay or just buy outright, I’m done growing height wise ( def not width, damn beer) so it’s an investment and being able to sit all day in comfort is priceless to me. You want to be able to enjoy the hunts not suffer through em. Good luck in your search, hope this helped a Little bit. I’d check out, scent lok, first lite, nomad, kuiu & Sitka.

3. Wibisono69

Wibisono69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When the temps are like that I wear something like this.
    NYBlood Screenshot_20200711-121900.jpeg

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But for our cold temps I like the heated Milwaukee vest or jacket. You get 4 hrs of heat and if you wait until you get settled in your stand it lasts through most hunts.

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion I would start with a good quality base layer made of Merino wool

Okiebob and Suncrest08 like this.
  7. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know I’m a wimp lol. I work in the elements and it’s 100 in the summer with high humidity and then goes to 30 for two months. So I freeze to death during those 2-3 months.

8. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I plan to go with one of the higher tier brands. I don’t have a store that carries any of them so I’m not sure which pieces to get. I don’t want to order stuff I don’t need or way to much stuff. I’m hoping some people will chime in with exactly what they wear for the different temperatures.

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Believe me man I won't even go hunting if it's over 70. Us Yankees melt easy. The first thing I wear on cold days is this
    https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/m...q-A6jNmJWC6CjWfHsT5A11AaAgJlEALw_wcB&geat43=a

It doesn't need to be name brand but that style and fabric. Like fore mentioned wool is great as well for a outer layer. And people forget this but protect your neck from wind and elements and it goes a long way in staying warm.

10. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good merino wool base layer is an outstanding place to start.
    I started picking up a piece of Sitka here and there. eBay and Rocslide are great places to look. I have several pieces and don’t regret a penny that I spent on it. From Wyoming to Illinois, it’s a great system.
    I have a set of Fanatic lite bibs that I’m going to part with because I picked up the Fanatic bibs for a song on eBay.

11. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure firstlite has a discount on the kiln hoody right now. Their merino base layers are solid and that kiln hoody is one of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I bought everything from lightweight shirts and vests to midweight jackets and vests to heavy parkas and bibs from these guys last year. I am really impressed with the quality and function for the money. About half of what you would pay for a lot of other brands. It is direct order only as far as I know. I ordered one or two pieces to try and ended up ordering most of what they have because I liked it so much. Take a look.

13. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up the fanatic bibs and coat. Stuff runs small. I bought the bibs in 2x and the coat in xl. Not a lot of room to layer in the jacket the sleeves run kinda narrow but 2x coat I’d swim in. I couldn’t believe the 2x bibs fit decent. I’ve never bought 2x anything. I’m 5 11 230lbs.

14. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m 5’11” and 255 and my XL fanatic stuff fits great. For me, there’s not much of a need to layer besides base layer and a sweat shirt. That keeps me warm down into the teens. The stuff is super warm and I don’t bust it out unless it’s 35 degrees or cooler

15. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are primarily stationary/stand hunting, I would go with merino wool for base and mid layers. IMO gives you the best bang for your buck, and multi-use. You could go with a merino shirt next to skin, then a mid weight sweater/hoodie/quarter zip type shirt, and an outer jacket that cuts wind down. I've picked up First Lite stuff each season and you can't go wrong with them. Lots of quality brands: First Lite, Sitka, Smart Wool, etc. I wouldn't worry about camo patterns of your layers, because it won't matter. As long as your outer most layer is some kind of camo, you'll be good. I often throw on a leafy zip up top if I'm in a tree. All of those high end brands can be found used if you're on a budget.

ash d likes this.
  16. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been highly considering this brand but couldn’t find much info on them. Could you tell me more about it? You think it’s worth it?

17. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a light jacket and some pants with the idea that I would probably be returning them. I was so impressed with the quality of them that I ordered a heavyweight set of bibs and 4-way parka, gloves, vest, another jacket and on and on. All of it has been of the highest quality. I have recommended their stuff to several friends and some have ordered and also been well pleased. I think you would pay nearly twice as much to get the same performance from one of the top end names. They even included a hand-written Thank-you card for the order and sent a nice stainless insulated cup for free. It looks like the business is based out of Nebraska and the clothing was shipped to me from a warehouse in Minnesota. All of my orders have been delivered in a very few days. Order an item to look over, I think you will be impressed. A lot of thought has been put into pockets, zippers, collars, etc., with hunting in mind.

Bama_Hunter88 likes this.
  18. Stickman

Stickman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m from Bama too I wear long johns and camp pants and shirt and when I reach the stand and cool down I put on walls blizzard proof coveralls. Socks I wear polypropylene socks which wick moisture and wool over that and rocky boots and I’m good and warm

19. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt northern mn and i just use the under armor cold gear fleece. and then i have the insulated pants and jacket. i like those heated soles for your boots.