How about a garden thread?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Mar 6, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'll admit tonight I am in actual pain. Though the garden is near done. Today I planted a block of corn then I put up 100ft of fencing. There goes the chestnut cages ,I have to buy yet another roll. Got the first pumpkins planted as well. Just need to get the beets in and I found a cool ground area that I may try some spinach.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Where are your pics guys. Mine is a preserving garden so everything is late. I have to live vicariously through your gardens...

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota, oldnotdead and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol
    We are under a heat advisory and I worked in the garden until I got queasy. That's with drinking a bunch of water,even the bees stayed home today. Wow what one rain storm can do after nearly 2 wks of nary a drop. I have only one seed that never sprouted and that's all the yellow squash. Fine by me, I just thinned the zucchini to replant where yellow should be. Tastes the same to me anyways. I think 10 zucchini will keep me busy..lol
    I got most of the weed mat down for the winter squash and the pumpkins. My recycling has no bounds. Hubby laughed and said , "you sure manage to utilize everything in sight!" The weed mats for runners is a huge hole ridden tarp from the "canvas barn" and a old camo tarp with holes. I just folded length wise and good to go no more holes. I alternate these with real weed mat that allows all water through plus some driveway under layment. Held down by rocks and logs. I hear thunder now, 2 hrs early and not a cloud in sky. Which means a big storm coming across the lakes and up the valley.
    Most tomatoes and all sweet peppers were pinched and weeded.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow! What a few thunder boomers can do to a garden. I got so much growth I spent two hours pinching back tomato and pepper suckers. But needed to check here when I said I planted the corn. ,friday. Well as I was laying the logs along the corn fencing, something dug under already! I noticed the corn popping through a 1/4 in . It was planted deep too.the pumpkins are up already and it was planted the same day beets and more cukes go in today spinach as well. Peppers have a bunch of flowers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my little garden is doing well. This year its just tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and zucchini... We no longer can or freeze-- just want some fresh vegetables for the table.

I have been container and bag gardening for several years now. Lot easier to care for and keep the critters at bay.

20200626_052538.jpg 20200626_052548.jpg 20200626_052517.jpg

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good...aahhh critters now I just need to laugh. Yesterday I get out of Gator to unlock gate. A chipper runs over my foot and squeezes himself INTO the live raccoon trap that was laying near gate. 1 in squares. I laughed and said to him now where you going?. Well about then he pops out through a square right near my foot. He's struggling kinda stuck at his full belly. I could have stomped him at this point but didn't. He rewarded me by later getting into me garden fencing and digging up a cabbage plant killing it and digging up 3 pumpkins.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on an every other day sucker pinch routine. This will be everyday very soon. Took some pics. I have hot peppers starting to produce. Some tomatoes have flowers I have a big area but grow with a square foot mentality. So everything close and much growing up. Cukes between tomatoes and peppers to grow up. Winter squares all tight to have a few go up but most over a large area of weed matting. This will be next springs peas and spinach a weed killed area that will need little work up. Pole beans along some fencing. I planted corn every inch due to past experiences. It is up and when 2 -3 Inches I will start thinning. Some pics

20200626_111725.jpg 20200626_111646.jpg 20200626_111534.jpg 20200626_111054.jpg 20200626_110944.jpg 20200626_110813.jpg 20200626_110733.jpg 20200626_105439.jpg

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You have any rocks around?

GregH likes this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!!! are you kidding..hahaha. 20 years of derocking and that is all from this year. The pic with weed mat,notice mound I'm standing on? ALL ROCK and there is 5 of those rock burms dividing the garden up. We live on the side of a glacier made valley, nuff said..lol

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With that many I would call them sex stones, f'ing rocks.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Picture this , a 30 x 50 ft pole barn 25 ft tall. A farmer in the next town derockecd one 10 acre field this spring and that was the mountain of rocks they got. He placed a flag on top of it. Last time I drove by he had a loader and a line of dump trucks he was filling. He most likely sold them to the local quary. Just another crop.lol

13. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Part of sons garden.

Attached Files:

Okiebob likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!, Whats that under the row covers?
    I finally finished the spring summer and will start the fall in a couple of weeks. I added another row of garlic starts , a few more hot peppers, beets and lettuce. Raining gentally right now.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    We are back in a no rain and heat advisory situation again. Took this opportunity to load up many fertalized jugs of water46 all told to water each individual plant. This gives me a chance weed at base of each plant and along the rows of greens,beets,carrots and corn.. Plus pinch the suckers on tomatoes.

i don't know whats up with the 6 and 3 yr old compost but I have never had beets or carrots com up so fast or grow so well. The beet seed is 2017 and every seed germinated to my amazement ...so lots of thinning for greens will need to happen. I'm going to be swamped with hot peppers. Dear lord Ill be tied to my kitchen making poppers. I bake them on large cookie sheets cool and vac seal..

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ha how to assure a non predicated rain storm...go bust your hump hand watering each plant in a big garden. Made weeding easier today just lay hoe on it's side and scape back and forth. Finished laying out the weed mats for squashes and pumpkin. Then Dr.'d around all blueberry , grape, blk. berries . The berries are loaded. Then Dr.'d the other half of garden I didn't get to this year. It is mostly clover I wil spray off. Pull old underlayment up and work for melons next year.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I was really hoping to get your tips and tricks, types of produce ideas and way better pics than I produce... I know there are a lot of productive gardens out there now ...so many veiws and so little input other than my boring post ,come on!..lol
    That said, got all my tomatoes tied up and more lower leaves cut, staked many peppers but need to make lots or buy more bamboo.
    So I have to admit, this weather wants to kill me I know I'm only 62 but the second that sun breaches the tree line I'm shot! Soaked and light headed within a half hour. 90 + temps have never been a friend of mine and have had heat stroke a few times. Even in high school. Thankfully rain is coming and I have the garden in a ready to just grow stage. Well other than picking greens and thinning beets,which goes to thinning greens. It will be a bit before I get fruit everything with flowers has then and hot peppers with a few swt. Hungarian have fruit. I do need to do one spraying a hydrogen peroxide fungal preventative spray.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20200708_154006_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153939_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153930_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153859_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153837_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153816_hdr.jpg IMG_20200708_153804_hdr.jpg

So bruiser storm rolled through, thank God! Though it hammered the farmers wheat,so I went to check garden. It made the winter squash and zucchini a bit battered and in disarray. But all and all, they will all recover and grow like mad. Need to spray for fungi, hot humid . So a few pics

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    GregH likes this.
  19. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had the first veggies out of garden last night.. Stuffed green peppers, sliced cucumbers and onions in vinegar , and fried zucchini..

Oh so good!

oldnotdead likes this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I can barely wait have hots and hungarians on plans peas are in full flower as are tomatos beets going wild and picking baby collards and kalethe spinach never germinated soils justtoo warm