*Official 2020 Scouting Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jan 4, 2020.

1. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    VS,
    My son is in Vermont also ,at Vermont tech flight academy. It's in Burlington also. He enjoys the area also, except the liberals. He has found lots to do
    Has 3 more years. To go.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice thank you. My oldest could care less about liberals or conservatives. Ha

3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be ordering some new strings for the bow in a week or two from 60x. I never realized how important it was to replace the factory strings. Took off my QAD drop away and put a fur burger back on. I could not get the timing right, (Neither could the pro shop guy) and the vanes were hitting the rest causing crazy fishtailing. I'm slowly getting back into hunting shape. I'm looking at getting a mountain bike for getting into the spots I want to go to, but the prices are through the roof right now.

I'm also looking at a new top for my summit climber for the late season. I feel extremely exposed sitting out in front of the tree once the leaves are gone. I want to be facing the tree or behind it, tucked in beside a hemlock or pine tree for concealment.

Hopefully in the next week or two I can get out and do some scouting. better late than never I guess!

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got 2 cameras hung today. Zero snake sightings so that was a bonus. Going to let them soak for about a month or so. Going out again tomorrow to hang more cameras in another area. Season is upon us!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe go on Facebook Marketplace or some other websites and buy a used mountain bike. I bet you could get a decent one for $50 to $100 that would serve its purpose.

I need to get on ordering my trolling motor mount for my kayak and start playing around with my set up. I really want to use it to hunt the lake spot. Small 5 and 10 acre land locked spots off that lake that I bet no one hunts regularly.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I hung two cameras in new spots in late May. I am going to grab them in a couple weeks. One of the spots was along a creek flat below some hills. Looks like well it had used scrapes even in May.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found a shop not far away to do the strings on my wickedridge XL . I had the strings and cables done on my mission Venture last year. Taking it in the next rain.
    Cleared a old trail today a huge tree fell Across it at the mouth of gully and I just left it. Is one of my parallel trails to a food plot trail. Sign of stupidity. 94 degrees and I decide to chunk and stack logs and cut down trees. But very productive got trail Gator worthy and now can plant the other trail. The farmer behind us, well both farmers one has all hay bales in field ( big round ones) and the farmer next to him is harvesting peas. I wonder what will go in next.
    Soaking in tub and relaxing now, good days work done. Several beds discovered.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, I'm more excited about following your season every year than my own!!! LOL!!!

But seriously, good idea on FB market place! Thanks!

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one for $10 at a garage sale last summer. A little WD-40 on the brakes and it was good to go. Haven't used it hunting yet, but from riding with the family, I am sure I could.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been using my wifes 20 year old mountain bike to fish. Have some duct tape on some of the rips in the seat. haha

11. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going to this spot this weekend. This spot is two miles back from parking, so we’re riding bicycles back at first light and fishing first. I’ve been back and scouted in the area but never this far back. I’m curious to see if there are any beds in the gold areas and hoping for some nasty rubs down in the flooded/clearing area by the waypoint I dropped.

I dropped the waypoint with plans of checking the clearing and backtracking. I was thinking about @virginiashadow s oxbow picture back a page, so I’ll check the inside of the little oxbow by the compass. Then I got to looking at the ridge system and those two big shelfs that run off the end (outlined red). Green may be morning stand rut stand sights....probably not but maybe.

disclaimer: I have tagged zero big bucks to validate my map reading. :fro:

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Mine are both setup near creek crossings.

13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Better than Christmas morning! Awesome man!

axtell343 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That is some serious terrain and big woods setting. It ain't easy hunting. I'd bet anything there is a major creek cross where I circled red with the yellow travel route....

20200707_195941.jpg

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ever considered saddle hunting? Way lighter and gives you many more tree options. Speaking of I need to get out for practice in mine.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have given it some serious thought and consideration. I love everything about them. However, I have ADHD so I need to be super comfortable in order to sit still. I know that saddles can be very comfortable, but I’m afraid I’d move to much in one because I can. The one I was considering was the JX3 for comfort and less likely to swing back and forth with it. I hate climbing sticks, (Used LW climbing sticks for years) so if I were to make the jump I’d use the bottom part of my climber and still stick to straight trees

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  17. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm itching to check cameras, I really should have moved one to the small pond on the property last trip. I have some pre-set sticks I wanted to get out this past weekend but an intense game of kick ball took out my big toe. Hopefully, it will not be as painful this weekend so I can get some things done.
    I've backed off buying a new bow, I want a longer ATA, but I'll settle with a new set of strings for my Helim.
    Bought my Illinois license yesterday, waiting on the permits to open Aug 4.
    I need to get back into saddle shape...by the way, have I told you guys I'm a saddle hunter lately?
    Bought some Hawk helium 20" sticks yesterday to replace the LW sticks I was using; should be here today (Midway USA doesn't mess around)

Started listening to hunting podcasts again, my brain is getting back into it, the heat doesn't help though.
    Hopefully I have some good info to report this coming weekend.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say the climbing sticks are what keep me from using mine more often. I built my own a bit heavier, but I only hunt our lands. Also wanted more lower back support . I actually got into it because sitting long periods cause me wild," Just kill me NOW" leg cramps and bothers my lower back. So I climb my ladder stands and use the seat as a platform ,cheap Gear Guide stands. That works well.

19. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol! I upgraded my DIY rock climbing harness/sit drag to a Tethrd phantom. Way less cumbersome.

20. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know you have to tell at least 13 people/day that you are a saddle hunter. (I don't go to SH anymore, it's a s-show)

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.