*Official 2020 Scouting Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jan 4, 2020.

1. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, nice campus. Burlington is about 30,000 population. Great down town, very college town. StMichaels is just down the road as well. Lots to do. I hope she likes snow and it gets cold. Great hiking and lots of open land to roam once you get out of the city. Only thing about VT and particularly the Burlington area is that it is very liberal and all that entails, so she would definitely be exposed to that mindset.

virginiashadow likes this.
  2. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20200704_154650.jpg 20200704_154659.jpg

New Stand location in VT. That's about a half acre of beans that I planted last weekend and its surrounded by apple trees.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been devising a plan to kill that big buck I saw the other day. Lucky for me I scouted that area two years ago but never hunted it. Every ridge point south of where I saw him contains mature white oaks. And the white oaks didn't hardly drop last year. I should buzz scout those white oaks ridge points in September and note if any of them are dropping. I don't think there are any fields around that area.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got bit by the bug pretty hard....got the gear airing out, fired a few arrows. It’s gonna be tough balancing school and hunting, but it needs to be done! Can’t ignore it anymore, it’s in my blood!!

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I put cameras out about three weeks ago on a farm I’ve hunted most of my life. I’ve never put cameras on it as it wasn’t my primary focus in previous years. Hit some public on Friday and got into a spot about 20 yards long COVERED in rubs, some low, some decently high. Found a few beds in there as well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from clearing lanes and access trails. Moved a camera to a new spot, checked the card to make sure it was pointing correctly toward the trails, got home and had all 3 cards in my pocket not 2. I was rotating cards on 2 cams. Now i have to go back and put the dang card back in, after showering and picking off the ticks. Smh. At least it isnt far away at all, but far enough and thick as the hair on Chuck Norris's chest.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So i was wondering if any of you have had the same thing happen. I usually am always looking for new and better spots to hang a stand and sometimes forget to scout the spots that I've hunted in the past. Today I went back to put that card in my camera and on the way back I cruised by an old stand location that has paid off early and late season. Tracks and sign everywhere. All I could think was I was right in the past and havent even thought about it all off season. Anybody else get caught up in bigger and better and lose sight of those spots that for whatever reason just draw the deer? Happened to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I do that. I use a system that works for me in remembering those spots. On my phone I plot gps plots. I use a green circle icon to indicate a spot I believe will be good, yet have never hunted. It takes a lot for me to put a green icon on my phone. Once it is there I will hunt it to see if my thoughts hold true. If it doesn't produce over 5 to 6 hunts over a year or two, it is deleted. A yellow means a few things. It could have produced really good one year with a kill and decent action over multiple sits. Or it could mean it has produced constant actions for multiple years, without a kill. A red icon means it has produced year after year. Some kill or kills, and constant action given the time of year you hunt it. So when the later part of October begins to arrive, I can look at my icons, and then adjust based on the wind, hunting pressure, or whatever. If I have a red icon you better bet the spot is really good. I don't have many.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another camera check today. Still nothing worth writing home about. Got 2 cams on the beans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I was looked at some spots I marked to scout last night. This one stood out and I am surprised I have never scouted it. Nice oxbow flanked by terrain that funnels movement. I'll nearly guarantee that will be solid action if I can find a doe bedding up on that north ridge. See those topo line pushing everything into that thin ridge point? Oxbow right below. Heck a buck could bed in that oxbow and watch Does travel during the rut.

20200706_184505.jpg

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not hung any cameras or even so much as set foot on my place since the beginning of May. Now I'm off to NW Arkansas for a couple months so I guess I'm going to see if staying out and doing no supplemental feeding is better or worse. Last time I checked my clover plot was coming on strong so hopefully they graze it and not mowing it will not be a factor but I have a feeling I might have to scramble and plant cereal rye this fall.

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You are going to hammer a big one this year.

14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let's hope!

15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watched over a bean field tonight. Had a flash flood type rain storm roll thru. Right after the deer poured into the field. Had about 20 deer out and about 8 of them were bucks! 3 big shooters in the group. One was a monster 8 pt. Already had huge main beams and about 8-10" g2s already. Think he's going to be a stud!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can’t wait to follow along as you chase that one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

vermontwhitetail and Holt like this.
  17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take social distancing serious while you are in NW Arkansas. Our infection rate has almost tripled since Memorial Day and about 85% of that is in NW Arkansas.

18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome.. Really looking forward to the amount of work we have going on there but yeah, gonna play it super safe.

19. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got permission to hunt a small property nearby!

I haven’t done any scouting yet, but I just took a quick peek at it on a topo map.
    IMG_1175.JPG
    It’s the T-shaped property in the center. At first glance, I would guess the deer are using it to bed in, and feed in the neighboring farm properties. I haven’t had any new land to scout in a few years so this will be fun.

The only condition I have from the owner is I have to take their son out during rifle to get his first deer. Not a bad deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!!