First Time Hunting - Camo Clothing?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by camjcannon, Jun 24, 2020.

1. camjcannon

camjcannon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be headed into my first year bow hunting this coming season, and as such, I'm trying to get as prepped up as I can ahead of time.

I will be hunting in Northern Arizona, as well as Colorado, so I'd imagine both cold & warm weather gear (separate purchases) will be necessary; if there are any companies that make good crossover gear, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

I've heard great things about Sitka, KUIU, and Sentlok, but am not sure which way to lean.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I like Gamehide,but hear lots of guys say great things about Sitka

3. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice I have is buy gear for the style of hunting you will be doing. Are you backpacking for elk? Stand hunting for whitetail? Maybe both? Specific brand is up to you, I feel they all make some great and sub par clothing. My hunting clothes are mostly First Lite, Sitka and Wal-Mart specials. Go with what you can afford, good luck this fall

4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im a a big first lite fan. They have an entire line dedicated to western hunters and its where they got their start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

foodplot19 likes this.
  5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have several brands and lately have been trending towards Sitka. It fits me well and is made well. My outer layer is currently from Day One out of Colorado. Man it's warm! I'm not a fan of the "suits" that some people like. I guess it's what I'm use to. Try everything and watch for sales.
    Good Luck!!

6. HancockCountyIL

HancockCountyIL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I buy most of my camo from Farm and Fleet or Wal-Mart. Under Armour can get pretty pricey.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to pay huge money for camo. I like to purchase good quality base layer clothing, then I just purchase whatever camo that matches the area I hunt. I do spend some decent money for quiet waterproof camo though, it is a necessity for rainy September's when archery hunting elk. I like River's West for my waterproof stuff.

Vabowman and BB1 like this.
  8. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a lot of different brands. I started using Sitka 4 years ago and haven't looked back since. Yes it costs an arm and a leg but there is nothing worse than sitting on stand and being cold. I have the Fanatic and the Stratus for when it cools down and the leave fall. I use the Apex for both elk and early season whitetails. Super hard to beat that stuff. I also run their base layers as well.

9. Countersg

Countersg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For warm weather I normally use OCP, BDUs,A or longrlong sleave camo shirts to keep myself from over heating.

For the cold and wind i use scent blocker pants and jacket. Best thing to do is get a good layers but not too much or your sweat alot doing the which will make you colder. Polartec is pretty good. They have a waffle overshirt I've used for hunting and military. Normally it's good to 45ish degree varying in how you handle the cold.

10. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My camo doesn't match, most times it's walmart if I can find it. I just don't see the need to spend money on the high end stuff. I do have under armor base layer. that is the only time I will spend a little money. what goes over it, doesn't matter to me. Chuck Adams has killed a million animals wearing blue jeans while spot and stalking