The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rough last couple of days.
    Jade just didn't make any improvement over the weekend into Monday. I had them give her the steroid shot that can sometimes "bring them back" a bit if it's a brain tumor, sometimes it can reduce the swelling, but all it did is settle her eye twitching down. She couldn't walk, eat, drink, or basically do anything except hold her head up a bit. She was very shaky.
    I could tell that she recognized us when we went to see her one last time even though she couldn't wag her tail. I've always had mixed emotions to be in the room when they euthanize. You want to comfort them at that last moment, but don't want the forever image of when they succumb in your mind. I couldn't not be there for this dog that gave the family so much. She let kids crawl all over her, befriended and won over all who met her, slept in my 6 year old son's bed every single night...at least after realizing she was old enough that we'd let her get away with it, always greeted us at the door...while she had her hearing anyway, followed me around the house every single time I went to another room, alerted us when a problem bear was outside camp by growling really low and deep in her chest (every single time we had a bear hit camp later that night after she gave her warning), loved to run beside the atv, ride in the back of the pickup, and cost us a small fortune in tennis balls...her favorite to play fetch with, but if you didn't put it up when done she promptly chewed them into small pieces. She was definitely our "dog of a lifetime".
    Rest well Jade.

dnoodles, Okiebob, JeffC and 3 others like this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am so terribly sorry to hear this really that has me in tears. My condolences and RIP Jade

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn... sorry man

Rest Well Jade, you earned it!

4. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry buddy, it’s never easy....

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn sorry for your loss.

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, I sure hate to hear that.

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry for your families loss.

8. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    words can never express the pain you and your family are going thru, they are more than family. You did the right thing, they understand. It wont get any easier days, weeks months later. Keep all the great memories..

9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. It's a tough thing that such fantastic family additions don't live as long as we do. Jade's passing has left a hole that will never be filled. Although only 14 years, it feels like I had her forever.

10. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always sucks losing a pet/ 4 legged family member. Sorry for your loss.

Mod-it likes this.
  11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Around here we call those land beavers or whistle pigs... whatever you call them they’re unbelievably delicious. Skin and clean them just like it’s a rabbit then cook em up.

13. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks really bad. God did a lot of things right but giving dogs such a short lifespan was kind of a **** move. I had to put one down a year ago and I was devastated but as fate would have it, a few weeks later I got a call from a friend about a sweet boxer that showed up at her parents house all shot up with buckshot. Her parents couldn’t keep him so I took him in and he has turned out to be best dog I’ve ever had. He is a little pissed off at me at the moment. Once I got him I introduced him to air conditioning and sofas and he is a really big fan of both. Needless to say he is not too thrilled with me for spending the whole afternoon in my sofa-less, un-air conditioned workshop.
    upload_2020-7-18_17-26-51.jpeg

TheHardWoods913 and JeffC like this.
  14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kudzu bear.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That might be the wrong size bag for your garbage.

16. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    They are. Like 60 gallon bags in a 32 gallon trash can but they’re super thick and it’s worth it to spend the extra cash for that so metal and glass shards and such doesn’t poke out and cut me when I carry it up to the dumpster.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still can not post I do not have a good dog just 3 little ass holes.

dnoodles, slickbilly-d and Okiebob like this.
  18. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, we’re adding a fourth dog to the pack. A female Cane Corso named Barley. Pick her up next weekend.
    962DD6E1-7B91-4B21-9003-C0559EC55110.png 4C9B65A4-F170-4E54-831C-4E31FA50B33B.png

19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My front yard consists of an almost 3 acre food plot for deer and turkeys. As of late the deer have been really hitting the soybeans I've planted. Mainly a couple of does and their fawns. I'm glad to see them using it but my dog Jones..... not so much. He thinks everything should stay out of our yard (his territory).

For the last two weeks he has been having some skirmishes with a mama doe. She has been keeping her fawn near by and will pop out into the plot at any time of day, even when the dogs and I are outside. Usually he'll bark at her and she'll run off in a direction away from her fawn. A couple of times she has held her ground..... at least until the last moment.

A few nights ago, just before dark, I let the dogs out for the last time of the day. A little while later my dog Zeva came back and was watching something from the deck. She is afraid of deer if they are not running away. When I opened the door to let her in I could hear Jones barking at something. I went out on the deck and saw him and one of the does standing in the same row of beans facing each other about 75 yards apart. Jones started advancing and so did the doe. when they got about 10 yards apart the doe ran into the neighbors corn and I called Jones back to the house.

This is only the second time in Jones's 6 years that he's had a deer stand up to him. It is funny to watch.

arrowflinger1 and Sota like this.
  20. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2020-7-21_19-56-59.jpeg
    I got overseen on a zoom meeting giving my dog his afternoon snack and everyone was giving me **** for spoiling him. It was only 2 milk bones, a couple nudges, 2 chicken tenders and a quarter of a bbq sandwich from Smithfield’s, plus 3 denta-sticks but those were really just to help deal with the bar-b-que breath

slickbilly-d likes this.