Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another decent week down. Highlights include perfect weather and a 46 mile bike ride last Sunday after a good chest day. Had another good kiteboarding session this week. I kept the active recovery day in the program for another week and rode 22miles on the spin bike that morning. Only bad part was tweaking my back deadlifting yesterday. I wasn’t going heavy for me and my form was sloppy...stupid. Just going to work around it today and hit what I can. Might take tomorrow off depending on how the rest of my call goes.
    I hope you guys are staying after it. I hope the recovery is going well for VS and Jim isn’t enjoying his retirement too much.

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My "exercise" regiment yesterday was two hours cleaning gutters, two hours mowing, and three hours lifting and spreading mulch. Retirement you say?!?!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Friday-Sunday hiked about 45 miles with my two oldest boys. The last 10 miles, mainly the last 6 of which, featured nearly 5000' of decent. But kept up about a 1.8 mph pace

Got ambushed by a slippery log, couple roots and a rock taking good spills (including a shoulder into a log).

Not gonna lie, oooouch.

4. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Four mile hike with 50lb pack today. Not too shabby for being 65!

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deadlifted 315 for sets of six reps on Friday and threw in some body weight on bar squats into the lift today. The long term risk of spinal injury isn't worth it anymore to do heavy squats so I am going to keep the weights light and increase the reps. Time to turn squats into cardio.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  6. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Today I did another four mile hike with the 50lb pack............while signing up for Medicare on the phone! Win!!!

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Did a 3.7 mile treadmill hike with a 35lb pack today in 60 minutes. I am hoping that I will be hitting 4 miles in 60 minutes with a 35lb pack by the end of the summer.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome work guys. Solid work humping those loaded rucksacks.

My back is feeling better after a lighter week of training and working around it. I did a little more running than usual this past week. I ran a virtual 5k on Thursday and ran 4 miles on Saturday and 6 on Sunday.
    Starting to get excited about hunting season.

Stay after it guys.

pastorjim08 and virginiashadow like this.
  9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Walked mile today for the first time since surgery 2 weeks ago. Slow and steady.

Westfinger, wl704 and pastorjim08 like this.
  10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gardens been kicking my behind . The whole bending over thing. I spend half my day bent over planting weeding , the other half hauling logs and fencing. Due to knees I have a strict No bending over order. Well then you pay some one to do my work..lol.
    Anyhow my last checkup showed a slight elevation on sugar. So I told him no symptoms but family history of elder diabetes so I wanted another blood test. Got the call glucose intolerant. Low carb diet should clear it.
    I live with a carbaholic Seriously the man eats more carbs than a stoner. And the worst thing ..just keeps dropping weight down to a 34 waist from a 36 6 mos ago. oh and he doesnt have actual exercise or work out in his vocabulary. Typical night:
    1/2 box of crackers with either a container of hummus or 1/2 jar of salsa. Then potato meat a green and yellow veggie and ALWAYS has to have a potato or rice or pasta of some sort after a mixed green salad. Wait not done yet. He then goes to a half a box of cookies or a few granola bars and a big dish of ice cream. If it's home made cookies no less than 12. He eats so much I get ill watching him. BTW He doesn't drink save an occasional orange juice sized glass of red wine. Like once a week.
    Me I eat a piece of meat and a veggie on a coffee saucer and a bjg mixed green salad with balsamic. I'm over weight with issues and do daily walks with the typical work a man does all day.
    So enough of that rant any of you on low carb with good suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Another decent week of training. I think I'm finally getting adjusted to the early morning training. I have had more afternoon energy and was able to squeeze in some afternoon cardio sessions that consisted of a 5 and 6.5 mile run and a 17 mile bike ride. Strength is still not where I would like it to be but I think it is going to take some time to get it back.

I drove by the deer lease. All beans this year. Nothing good on the cameras.

Stay after it guys!

12. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    You're killin it man!

Westfinger likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I know I shouldn't have done that rant here but my carb diet question was serious and I have another
    . If you've been on a low carb did it effect you when you first started? I ask because I nearly past out 3 x's in the garden today and it's not that warm. Lunch was a small dish of pulled smoked pork with a low carb 3g. Asian dressing no bbq sauce. Water and small salad. So I had eaten.

14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    OND- I can't help you with any info on low carb diets. While my diet is probably lower carb I don't exclude any macronutrient groups from it and only have protein and total calorie goals. I do have some experience with intermittent fasting. I can tell you that I'm fairly active and while doing that I wouldn't eat my first meal until early afternoon. Most of the time I felt fine doing that. I would look at your hydration before I looked at needing some additional calories. Between glycogen stores and fat most people have enough energy reserves.

Good luck.

oldnotdead and pastorjim08 like this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks..
    I did some research and there are side effects that start within the first few days. Headaches √, cramps√, dehydration, I have a water bottle attached to me at all times and drink 2 in the middle of the night. That's a several year habit. Dizziness when you cut too many too soon...√.. Lol

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Dead lifted 315 for sets of 7 on Friday.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    3.5 months of Covid lockdown spent sitting on my butt eating Oreos not only made me fat, but weak! It's amazing how quickly it goes. 2 days back in the gym and I'm probably lifting 65% of what I was doing before the lockdown.

3 months until Colorado elk trip so it's time to kick things into high gear and get back after it.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't take long to get "out of the habit" and fall back into old habits. Sounds like you've got great motivation to change things though. Git-r-done!!

Westfinger likes this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    4 sets of 6 reps of body weight-on-bar back squats super-set with pull ups. Then did a three round upper body circuit with KB Lunges thrown in for the lower body. 40 minutes of hard work and done. Ended with an easy treadmill walk for 20 minutes.

Westfinger likes this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ever hunted out that way before? You may want to do your workouts with a mask on. That is if you don't have and good elevation to do your stamina training on.