Coaching/Instructing Archery

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckHunterUnlimited, Jun 5, 2020.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to teach kids, teens and adults the sport of archery, and more specifically bowhunting. I want to charge for my time, but not at the cost of parents taking out loans to learn what I taught myself to enjoy. I have been shooting and hunting most of my life. I am 50 yrs old.

I am not a certified individual and do not want to charge pro or certified prices. Is it necessary to get certified? Seems like a lot of money and travel, since Illinois, Missouri or Indiana has no one to teach the instruction, just to say I know what I already know. I just want to offer a personal instruction to what is quite freely available on youtube these days.

Thoughts and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to consider is the liability issue and insurance. A friend contacted the local Boys and Girls Club about teaching archery to kids. He was amazed at the amount of background checks, references, etc. that he needed. I looked into guiding on the local trout streams. License was no problem but the insurance for $1MM coverage was expensive. I have a card for a local fellow. He is certified- USA Archery and National Field Archery Association.

3. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    The bonding issue is one I had not thought about. In such a litigious society, being insured is probably a necessity. I am in West Central Illinois. Are you and fellow that is certified near St. Louis, Mo? That is the closest significant landmark across the river, most people will know.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reach out to NASP ( National Archery in Schools Program) and ATA ( Archery Trade Association ). I was organizing a yearly archery summer camp before my divorce (divorce caused that and many other priorities to change) You might also get with your states Bowhunters Association if they have one. ( And join if not already a member ;)

They are incredibly helpful with getting your ducks in rows from all aspects. I cannot convey enough how much of a resource they can be. Make a few calls and they will surely line you up with the correct individuals. I wish I could recall the names of whom I dealt with, I'd have to dig back thru a few years of emails. lol

They will get you in touch with the right folks from all levels and help walk you through and certifications / insurance / etc questions you may have. The also have some great curriculum materials and gear sets available. Check them out and best of luck.

tynimiller likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    tacklebox likes this.
  7. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you tacklebox and John T. This does sound great. I could not commit that much time right now. I am a caretaker for my father-in-law, and was looking for lessons one-on-one, but I am going to keep this in my back pocket. I would really like to do this, once I am no longer needed here. I will look to see about the Bowhunters Association, next.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

tacklebox likes this.