Compression Fracture

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Michael George, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The hunting gods have once again cast doubts on my 2020 season. Was diagnosed with a compression fracture in the middle of my spine. Thinking back it's probably been there for quite a while but has now decided to rear it's ugly painful head. I'm on muscle relaxers and inflammation reducers; with an appointment to start physical therapy next week. Most of what I've read on the internet does not bode well for hunting very much this year (a good deal sounds like bow hunting might be over). Anyone out there have any experience or advice they can share with me?

Thanks in advance.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I fractured c7 and t6 when I was young and dumb. They had me on muscle relaxants & ibuprophen (a lot like 2400-3200mg/day - way bad for the liver and kidneys), a tens unit was an option if drugs didn't work. One doctor suggested losing weight and strengthening the muscles...

Make sure your diet has enough calcium, magnesium and potassium to heal.

I ditched the drugs, but suffered with pain for 30yrs. At age 50 lost a bunch of weight, got more in shape (I'll never be a fitness model, lol), and that made a world of difference. Only time I have any pain now is from odd exertion like drywalling a ceiling.

virginiashadow and oldnotdead like this.
  3. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    wl704 Thanks for the rely! I'm 56. I jump on and fall off of the fitness wagon every year. I think the injury occurred back in the late 80's when I was a young bullet proof Marine. I definitely want to stay away from the drugs; but with retirement looming I don't want to have to reset my plans (a lot more hunting, spending a lot more time working my property in NY, traveling, hiking...). Going to break down and go see a Primary Care Physician for the first time in like 10 years to see what other options are available besides the meds. Thanks for the advice. ​

virginiashadow likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say is listen to the therapist and if your given home work ,you darn well do it. Just ask about bow hunting, look to stay on the ground this year and lower poundage. They'll tell you to strengthen the muscles supporting your spine. Personally sit ups done on a exercise ball is great and I have a suspension gym . Stretching on a regular bases when give the OK. Talk and questions to your therapist. BTW A gift of healthy snacks or coffee for the staff goes so far for great care. Best of luck.
    Ps
    86 yr old grandfather inlaw. Came to camp on a full upper body cast from a broken back. It went from under his ears and chin to his tail Bone. Sat him in a chair in the middle of the field and he shot a buck. There is always hope.

grommel, jonderrs7 and rknierim like this.
  5. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Update: MRI showed two fractures. An old one and new one. New one is causing all the pain. Back doctor has me in a brace and made me cut out almost all physical activity. I go back mid-September for a re-evaluation. Bow is definitely out of the question this year as it will take me all season just to get my core re-established. Just restrung my cross bow and will be making sure its dialed in.

Also, waiting to get a bone density scan to determine if osteoporosis is a factor in all of this. I'm a little concerned about that because the last strenuous activity I did before the pain flared up was trying to start a stubborn lawn mower. Will keep everyone up to date. Thanks for the information and support!

dnoodles likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    keep your head up.
    My buddy was having issues with that, they ended up cutting a section of the crushed vertebrae out and grafting a polymer in place over it. The bad portion kept pressuring the nerves and he was a wreck. Sounds scary but he's not having any issues any more.

7. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles: I read about that polymer-cement and saw lots of good things. I'm hoping that I don't end up at that point but time will tell. Right now I feel pretty good except I can feel my muscles atrophying and my back does get sore picking up my grandson (only supposed to be lifting 8 lbs and he's about 16+ now).

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear your getting good care. Being a woman I get bone density tested by gynecologist. I don't know why men don't get them more. That and breast test to be honest. As for pain you may want to ask about your diet. I have had connective tissue issues all my life. These effecting my ligaments, so dislocations, breaks, sprains, ect. ect. Once had a chiropractor call the ambulance while I was in the parking lot trying to get out of the car.
    I wish someone had told me years ago to go on a low carb diet, NOT for weight loss,but for pain management. I have been on a low carb diet for 3 weeks and my joint swelling has gone WAY down thus so has my pain. You may want to ask some questions on that and about a dietician for pain management. With your injuries you may be able to roll one in on the insurance for this treatment.
    Best of luck

9. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. I never had any pain with the first break that I remember. Second break hurt like hell, initially, but has faded now that I'm wearing the brace and behaving myself (most of the time). When first diagnosed the PA gave me physical therapy, which helped a lot; but I decided I wanted to treat the fracture and not just strengthen the muscles around it. Once healed I don't want to keep having treatments if I can avoid it. Going to a spine doctor is how we found the early break. He had me stop PT and put me in the brace so I behave myself. I will ask about diet and other things that could aid in recovery/prevention.
    I will update what I find out.

oldnotdead likes this.
  10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    wow bro, sorry to hear. Listen, last year i fell about 12 feet off a scaffolding. I had a pile break in my left ankle, worst pain in my life! ( and I've been hurt a lot!!). No surgery, but I listened to exactly what the doctors said. It healed perfectly. I know its not a spine, but my point is, do what your told to do !!!!!!! Best of luck!

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. firstdraw

firstdraw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping for a speed recovery! Take care of yourself first, stay positive, put the time and energy into recovering and following doctors orders. You'll be back in the game!

oldnotdead likes this.