Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gyms open up in OH on the 26th! Finally!
    Looking forward to seeing what muscle memory can do for me. Weather has been crap but we managed to get a 30 mile bike ride in after work a few nights ago.

stay after it!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gyms still down here. Been adding volume to my runs and walks with some sprints added in here and there. Starting to pay off with weight loss and better stamina. Added a 20 lb plate to a backpack and walked 3 miles today for an active recovery. Rested a few hrs and ran a couple miles. Wasnt even tired at the end. Gotta keep grinding.

cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our gyms open the 25th. Even though I've kept up pretty well with the cardio I'm ready for some weight training. I can really feel the negative difference since I haven't done it for a while

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Setting up an appt with a general surgeon tomorrow in hope they can diagnose a hernia. I know I have a hernia and it's getting worse. Last night I was stretching and could feel another bulge in a section right below my lower abs. I might have two. Ughhh. Right now it feels very uncomfortable.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The gym reopened today and I hit it hard! Right now I feel better alllllllll over! We'll see if I feel so spunky later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I must've missed it. What was the outcome?

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I go back to the doctor next Thurs. He couldnt diagnose the hernia bc I couldnt do the tests. I was in too much pain. I know I have a hernia in my groin and it is pressing into my cahones. So I'm on antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear, hopefully things will settle down and you will get some relief until you can come up with a plan.

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal! It’s good to be back under the iron. I have been getting up at 5am and going. I have never done well with the 5 am work outs but I’m really hoping I can stick with this time frame. It feels great so far. Honestly I think the time away from the gym has really helped my joints settle down. So far I haven’t had any pain. We’ll see how Long that lasts.
    Stay after it guys!

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Just put together a plyo box for the kids today. Should help them get quicker. Follow up on my possible hernia Thursday. I was in good shape two weeks ago. As of today I am still limping around in pain and as a result my workouts stink.

Westfinger likes this.
  11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My gym is still closed here, but doing a 6-8mile hike about every morning with my girl. She is funny about some wildlife... 20200602_064407.jpeg

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hernia surgery set for next Wed. My Balls are already hurting in anticipation

13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer, sorry to hear. Good luck with the recovery.

virginiashadow likes this.
  14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks buddy. I have 5 days straight to workout pretty hard to get in pre surgery fitness so I am least have some fitness to recover faster. Been lightly working our for 2 weeks. Now I dont care if it hurts bc I'm getting surgery and not going back to work before its done.

Westfinger likes this.
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Worked up to 3 sets of 4 for deadlifts at 315lbs today. I have decided that I am going to leave my max dead at 400lbs until I can hit a set of 10 reps at 315. My joints and ligaments need more endurance at heavy weights.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our gyms opened up but doesn't do much good for me. They wentvwith a 6-6 schedule and that falls right into my work schedule. So for now gonna just try make it on weekends and maybe some days get off with enough time to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  17. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m just about to walk into my gym right now in fact. Lol

We just reopened last week. I gave it a week to resettle out. Worked push on Wednesday went bow hunting Thursday and now going to do pull today and legs.

So far I’ve come a long way physically in my shoulders. I have plenty of the old man aches and pains from injuries from playing sports. Tendinitis in my elbows and needing Tommy John surgery in my right elbow, but the shoulders are real good.

Next I need to expand on cardio and stretch my lungs a bit and clear them up. They don’t seem to be 100% clear from inactivity. I quit running several years back so I need something to replace running. Been using the stair master and it’s good.

Did I say as I sit here now I’m so sore that drawing the bow last nite for reps was comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  18. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Another week of early morning training is in the books. Definitely felt some DOMS this week. I'm going to stick to a five day split as it will give me some time to recover and some flexibility with my training days. I did do a casual 16 mile spin bike ride for some active recovery o n one of my off days. We'll see how that goes.
    Wife and I made it out for an afternoon kiteboarding session and I definitely need to work on my flexibility. Diet has been on point.

Stay after it guys.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did a 6.1 mile trek this morning. Added back in the lunges, every other day. Also hit the pushups pretty good this morning.

20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been a distance runner for 43 yrs, ever since my USMC days...... I used to run 5-7 days a week, now it is 3-5 days a week...waaaay less when deer season opens and winter sets in... then, I'll do 1-2 maintenance runs or as needed and weather permits ..... ran 7 yesterday, I'll do 4-5 today, by mid-late summer I'll be back to my 10's and 13's ... I dont do as many races as I used too, maybe two a year .. I'd be lost if I didnt run ....

Westfinger likes this.