Tweaks to Cure Target Panic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, May 27, 2020.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Target panic can be one of the biggest hurdles an archer has to overcome. Here's a look at some tweaks to cure target panic.

The post Tweaks to Cure Target Panic appeared first on Bowhunting.com.

Continue reading...

jonderrs7 likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Besides Target panic this is all great info for beginners

3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to the Tech Talk forum, I have some good videos posted there on TP and 'cures' ("cures", thats funny to me)... I'm about 1 month into shooting with a Stan Perfex Resistance release and learning back tension ... Its been a struggle at times as one has to 'retrain' ones brain and form ... much to relearn and much to learn 'correctly' this time ... it takes pure dedication to to this and one can not haphazardly go about it ..... Ive want to throw the release more than once, it can be tough believe me !! ... but, it will be worth it in the long run... dont expect a 'cure' overnight .. it may take weeks, months or even much longer depending on how long one has had TP and how bad it is ...... Ive always been deadly on critters, still am .. but after years of competition and pressure, TP was killing me ... I know a few who have quit shooting because of it .... so, what are YOU waiting for ... go for it and retrain your mind .... good article BTW .. thanks !!

airenlow and peakrut like this.
  4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I've been struggling with it for quite awhile now and cures is funny to me as well. Maybe manage it the best you can.

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ yep ... it has been said that TP is akin to alcoholism, you never 'cure' it, you manage it .... I have good days and bad days right now... today wasnt a good day, I'm struggling right now ... I'll have days where the shot breaks as it should and all seems fine ... another day and I cant get the release to do squat .. so I start backing off on the tension/setting... then the next day, it goes off as I remove my thumb from the safety ... seems like I cant find the 'sweet spot' with the Perfex resistance .... I keep telling myself it is ME, not the release .... ... unfortunately, there isnt anyone local I can/will trust as a coach/trainer ... all there is is 'online', and some times that isnt good enough I think ...... I could go to my Truball Boss X and shoot 'hunting good' and drill the heck out of my spots/bags/ BH/3D targets, but I want to learn BT and beat this TP/driveby crap and hold better on spots .. I'm getting there, slowly but surely ..

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only times I ever had target panic were big bucks over the years. About 4 years ago I missed 3 in one season. I was dejected. Then I started to use something that might help. My brain.

I started to realize I have a real strong trigger finger when I get stressed. So I went to a thumb release. That helped somewhat. Then I realized that I was creating the stress in my own mind when those bucks were coming in, hearing that stupid high intensity music from all the hunting videos as the buck approaches. I practiced clearing my mind and not thinking of those things. Focusing on the moment instead of the future. Almost emotionless. My success rate skyrocketed. That's my story.

cantexian, SharpEyeSam and Suncrest08 like this.
  7. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

8. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't claim to have target panic, but will certainly attest to being a proponent of a hinge or thumb button style release. I practice with both and it's phenomenal what a surprise release will do for accuracy.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. garethochse

garethochse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you ever cure target panic. You learn to overcome it and recognise it, then do exercises to keep it at bay. I spent over a year researching the issue and fixing my own with great success. I wrote a book about it to share the 10-step plan with other archers. https://www.archerywithoutanticipation.com

Afflicted likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have a beer shoot some arrows, still tweaking have another beer, shoot some more arrows, lather rinse repeat.

LittleChief likes this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In all honesty what really helped me was concentrating on the peep sight ring lining up with the sight ring rather than the pin, really helps to be aware of that alignment to make sure you are bending right when taking a shot from the stand.

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's really what archery is all about. Minimal physical input with your front hand on the riser and no input on a clean/surprise release. Thats how you get a perfect flight out of an arrow. twist the riser or punch the trigger and all hell breaks loose.

Enjoy the zen of those last few seconds of each shot. One perfect arrow at a time.