New to forum. Suggestions on new compound?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jae30001, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Jae30001

Jae30001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all! Local guy to pittsburgh! Wanted to say hello, and see if anyone had a general recommendation, help and or tips for a compound Bow! I am looking to buy used so any help would be awesome! Price range $400 used.

Wanting to hit it early enough to get practice/range time in, targets on center, before the season.

I measured my draw out to 28.5.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Check the classifieds here. Good luck!
    Edit- My wife has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro outfit that retails about $350. Good bow and goes from 7-70lb draw weight. There will be others to chime in here.

Jae30001 likes this.
  3. Jae30001

Jae30001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

4. aboogie973

aboogie973 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Aloha and welcome. I started out with a Bear g2 Cruzer and loved it. I have moved on to a PSE evoke 35. For the price range you are looking at, the G2 would be perfect. You can always upgrade the rest later on.

5. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

I know Pittsburgh is still in lockdown, most archery shops on this side of the state are as well, but have you checked for any pro shops nearby? I'd imagine they will be able to let you test several bows within your price range.

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also not to be that guy, but how did you test your draw length? Having the correct DL is important. ( Unless you but a adjustable bow)

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend targeting an adjustable draw length bow for your first one, especially when having to buy "blind" without being able to go to a pro shop. The methods to measure draw length get you close, but you may end up being a bit longer or shorter than what you measured. If you buy a bow that isn't adjustable, you'll then be stuck with trying to find different cams for it to change the draw length.

8. Banshee

Banshee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi John T,

I'm currently using a Browning Micro Midas3 youth 40lb Compound Bow. Just ordered the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro and awaiting eagerly for it to arrived. I'm lefty and shoot LH. How did you and your wife find the Edge Pro?

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Story- OK, I'm a hunter education instructor in Tennessee. Every August, the agency has a workshop for the instructors. Saturday morning is a series of shooting, archery, fishing, etc., for all. Four or five years ago, they talked my wife into shooting in the lady's archery. She placed second! This was with a recurve. For three hours on the way home I answered questions about bows. Dunham's had the bow on sale so I got it for her because of the adjustable draw weight. She is shooting at 28 lb. with NASP arrows. Funny story- when she first shot it, she did good. When I mentioned something about the peep sight, she said, "Is that what it's for?" Her groups got much better. OK, yes, it is a good bow. I have shot it and feel, for the money, it is a good value. Keep in mind the draw weight and draw length are adjustable. If I didn't have three bows, I would buy one for myself. I think you will like it. We took it to the local gun club to set it up. It's more complicated that my old Bear Whitetail. Fortunately there were two very experienced 3D shooters who were gracious enough to help. I'm sure the directions, Youtube or a local person could help where needed.