Hello from the Midwest US

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Mimzy, May 30, 2020.

1. Mimzy

Mimzy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, guys! Disclaimer: I'm not a bowhunter and have no intention to be, but I do love historical archery (and weaponry in general) I'd love to be able to handle an English warbow at some point in time and just upgraded myself to a 50 pound longbow that's going to take some work on. (currently I can shoot it at a little more than half draw).

I'm also all of self-taught for over 20 years, so I'm probably doing at least one or two things all wrong, and have a few questions, if anyone is willing to answer them. I just now got back into the sport when my 9 year old nephew wanted to learn.

1.) Firstly, I have no idea what my ideal draw weight even is, or how to measure it. I tried to look that up, but to be honest, I'm better at learning things when they're laid out step by step in writing, I have a hearing disorder that makes it extremely difficult to understand what people are telling me sometimes. How do I measure my ideal draw weight?

2.) In relation to that, is it even okay to shoot at half draw? My last bow was 35 lbs and I could do it, no problem. Can't use that one anymore,the kiddo snapped it in half while stringing it...it was 20 years old anyway..and red oak has a bit of a reputation for snapping but now I'm slightly paranoid about damaging the new one, lol. (hickory/yew core)

3.) The metal arrows I'm using for target practice are for 35-50, should I upgrade those just to be on the safe side? I want to move to wood but not before I know what I'm supposed to be using. Arrows are expensive.

4.) Also re the nephew: He could shoot the 35 using my arrows before he snapped it, even though it was a head and a half feet longer than he is tall and I was going to give it to him when he got taller but that idea's out ....whups...so for now he's on a beginner bow that shoots 15-20 and his arrows are 15-30 or so. Can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have them with me) Should I upgrade those as well? Looking for a youth bow (preferably fiberglass) with a higher weight for him while I save to get him a wooden one and measure HIS ideal draw weight.

I think that's about it unless I think of something else...any help much appreciated.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help you with any of that but welcome to the site. Lots on here shoot recurve or long so you should be good.

3. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Should be some to help you.