Peep sight/front sight question?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by keithp, May 28, 2020.

1. keithp

keithp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to drop the front sight on my bow to gain some yardage on the pins. I plan on making it so I can shoot for fun out to 60 or so yards but do not have the room on my pin setting the way it is currently set up.
    If I move the sight down will that effect my peep in that I will have to also move it?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should close your eyes and draw your bow then open. A straight line will dictate where your peep should be. As for pin sets you have latitude on that. I love vertical but I'll assume you shoot horizontal. In that case, your main Pin ( usually green at 20 yards) should be in the middle of the housing. If you need more you can drop it lower and adjust all pins in correspondence. Good luck

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I regularly like to shoot longer distances, mainly for the fun of it as well as those long bonus 3D targets some shoots have. It also helps me to extend my maximum shot range, I mostly archery hunt elk and like having a decent maximum range for some of the longer shots they can present. Practicing out to 80-90 yards helps to make a 40 yard shot seem closer when hunting.
    While I like Fix's thought of having your main use pin in the center of the housing, I've always wanted as much range as I can get out of my sights. I adjust my top pin (I always use it for 20 yards) clear to the top of the sight housing and sight it in by moving the whole housing as needed. This gives me the max room for my very bottom pin to have a pretty far sight in range, generally somewhere around 80-90 yards. This varies greatly of course with draw length, poundage, and arrow weight.
    For setting your peep, I like to set mine for giving me a perfect sight picture on my 30 yard pin after I draw, anchor, and then open my eyes.

But in answer to your question, yes. If you move the sight housing much you'll want to adjust your peep to it.

4. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run Spot Hogg SDP sights on 3 of my bows(7 pins on the sights). Set mine up so the 4th pin down, the middle pin, is in the center of the housing.
    Practicing at 80 sure does make 40 a lot easier.
    Draw your bow with your eyes closed, then open them. Have a buddy move the peep to your eye. Do this several times, because you will adjust your head slightly at the start. It’s just human nature.