Spotting Scope or Binos?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TheFitHunter, May 28, 2020.

1. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up everyone, what are your preferences for this topic? A spotting scope or high power binos? Gonna be using them for my everyday long distance shooting but also a pronghorn trip im planning next summer. I believe that the binos would be more valuable in a wider variety of situations but I want to hear some other ideas!

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quality binoculars for sure get the nod over a spotting scope for most applications.

If scoreing a goat is important to then spotting scope is invaluable for that. The difference between a 75 and 80 goat is fractions of inches for each measurement.

TheFitHunter likes this.
  3. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont care about a record goat I merely wanna get into bow range of a pronghorn that would make the trip a success for me. I have a set of Vortex 10x42's already for 3D, what magnification power do you think would suffice? I would assume I will be looking for hundreds of yards if not further for pronghorn across the open land

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your 10x will be fine for what you described

5. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you have for rangefinding? I went on an archery antelope hunt last year and my Leupoldo 10x42’s were fine because I only needed general sex and size recognition. I had a separate Leupold rangefinder as well.

However, the guides used rangefinding 10x or 12x bino’s about 90% of the time. They’d throw up the spotter for anything more then 1000 yards.

I’d probably go binoculars. If you’re going with a buddy, probably add a spotter as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When hunting I use my binos the majority of the time. When I am scouting it is probably 50/50. If I had to pick just one it would be a good pair of Binoculars. Here is one for you. For years I used 12 power binos. About three years ago went to a 10 power. I could see a lot better. A lot of that has to do with getting older and not being able to be steady enough. I have a good friend that uses a bi-pod for his higher power binoculars. It work great.

7. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry 10x Leupolds and my Leupold spotter has never been out in the field.

Planopurist likes this.
  8. Alex Killman

Alex Killman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Binos are definitely way more useful, but a good spotting scope, such as the Vortex Diamondback or Burris Signature is going to probably offer more on long glassing sessions from a stationary position.

9. cbw

cbw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Binos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk