Anchor and peep issues

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Tryptaview, May 22, 2020.

1. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Due to a mix up at bass pro i received 2 bear archery species at 70#. Now i have this same issue with both bows and unfortunately none of the archery shops are open around here but i do have a bowmaster bow press. im not sure if the issue is with the bows or myself. I have a 72" wing span and put the draw at 28". Ive tried up to an 1.5" shorter and 1.5" longer but no matter what i do i cant get my anchor to line up with what all the info points to as a perfect line up which is string at tip of nose and corner of mouth anchoring index knuckle under ear (i use a tru wrist release) my nock point ends up way behind my mouth and half way back from my nose ( though i got a big one haha). If i adjust the string to hit those points my peep lands way too low on both bows so is it me or the peep sights? Id appreciate any help so i can finally get to really practicing. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tryptaview likes this.
  3. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do ill post after i get it and look up the instructions

4. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im just wondering how could u tell the bow wasn't tuned?

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Peeps low, arrows high, cable stop looks like it's hitting your arm. Draw looks short. But no worries all things that are repairable

Tryptaview likes this.
  6. Yusrilha

Yusrilha Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Tryptaview likes this.
  7. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool i appreciate the info. Do i need to get a bow vise and other tools (string seperator, T square, serving string, etc.) Or am i getting carried away

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to get into it and really enjoy it sure but you won't have to change the bow much once it's set so a shop to adjust might be cheaper. Most shops charge 75 or so for a basic rig set. You can hand make a paper rig for tuning after that. To fine/paper/french tune your bow once it's good on nock and peep.

You need your arrow to be level and straight. You or a shop can do this. Once it is then.
    Step 1. Have shop test your DL. Or use formula. ( Wing span minus 15 divided by 2 )
    Step 2. Decide on anchor points. ( If kisser is desired it should be roughly inch to inch and a half above nock)

Step 3. Draw bow with eyes shut and anchor. Then open your eyes and your peep should be a direct line once anchored.

Step 4. Fine tune in any way you choose. Once that is true and you are punching bullet holes you can begin Target shooting.

Tryptaview likes this.
  9. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks! Ill get that squared away then see whats up

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Found this pic, it might help illustrate where everything should line up. Caveat: everyone is different but this shows basic lines. Screenshot_20200524-173334.jpeg

early in likes this.
  11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fix, you said the draw looks short...I think you meant too long?
    The draw length looks way LONG to me...
    String is well past tip of nose, arrow nock is past corner of eye, bow arm elbow looks to be locked (to get it out away from you as far as possible). I also think the bow could be pretty severely torqued to get the string stop to touch your bow arm?
    The draw being way off is likely the culprit of many of the issues.
    I've never really worried about anything in my anchor points to do with the corner of my mouth.
    Among some other things such as grip, etc. that I won't go into, I make sure that:
    -My bow arm can be straight, but elbow not locked;
    -The arrow nock sits just under the corner of my eye when I'm anchored (like the pic Fix posted);
    -The string just touches the tip of my nose for another anchor point reference (also like Fix's pic);
    -I can draw and anchor with eyes closed and when I open them my peep is perfect, no slight anchor adjustment or head movement is needed.

As far as the knuckle under your ear, be aware that the length of the release is going to effect that. If it is adjustable then you can mess with it as needed...once you get the draw length correct.

12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's weird, lots going on. If he changed his grip and placement(anchor) , and nock it could give us a better gauge. The arm is off as well as you stated. My grip turns my arm allowing me to be extended but flat palmed will get him a strong slap to the forearm. At first I saw it as long but then short. I think he might need to get to a base and start fresh.

13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking again you may be right. In order to get his drawing hand knuckle under his ear like he wants he is having to hold his bow arm weirdly, causing the string stop contact on his forearm and the string to be way past his nose to achieve that anchor spot.

OP-A picture of you at full draw and anchored from the same side as your first one, but at a perfect 90° angle that shows all of you will help. We need to see from your feet all the way to the top of your head as well as all of the bow.

Fix likes this.