Vane Offset for non-Vented Broadheads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hirschjaeger, May 10, 2020.

1. Hirschjaeger

Hirschjaeger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time posting here.

Any rules of thumb for offset or degrees of helix for non-vented 3-blade broadheads (like VPA non-vented)? Seems like too much offset/helix will cause parachuting sooner since you have more surface area of the broadhead having air hitting it diagonally, causing it to bleed energy and become unstable.

I thinking of switching to switch to VPA 3-blade non-vented because I don't like the whistle of the Montecs I've been using. I'm matching field points out to 30 yards on a calm day, but a little wind opens up my broadhead groups. Right now here's what I'm shooting:

27.5" FMJ w/ 3 vanes (2 1/2" blazers, no offset)
    Montec CS, total arrow weight is 430 gr (corrected - original post said 340 gr)
    Mathews Creed @60# with a limbdriver drop-away rest.

Only option right now is to re-fletch, so I'm debating on the configuration. So I don't have to keep re-fletching arrows, here's what I'm thinking of trying to start, but I'd appreciate everyone's experience and thoughts?

4 vanes (2 1/2 blazers)/no offset
    4 vanes (2 1/2 blazers)/2 degree offset
    3 vanes (2 1/2 blazers)/2 degree offset

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You wont go wrong with an 3°offset, if you have a helical clamp use that as well.

3. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want my arrows spinning the best they can for stabilization ... Straight fletch dosnt cut it when shooting fixed BH's ... heck, I want stabilization even if shooting FP's or Mech's .... an offset is good, a good helical is even better ... the AZ EZ Fletch is what I use, the Mini is fine for vanes up to 2" ... the Mini MAX is for vanes upto 3" ... I have both and use both .... at the speeds I shoot, the helical they put on stabilize my fixed heads perfectly ... I am a Wicked Trick fan which is a larger vented head, I do shoot the Exodus Full's (nonvented) for crap and giggles and will hunt with them one of these days, and they fly and group great with the helical I get off the EZ Fletch .... Bitz's are great jigs also, just use a helical arm with a good offset

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting a similar set up for deer hunting. I shoot gold tip kinetics at 27.5" a little over 500 grains total weight with 70 gr insert upfront and 3" fusion veins with a 1 degree offset tipped with VPA 3 blade heads in both vented and the solids at 100 gr. I have no issues with my groups and arrow flight, but I do think I am going to pick up a helical clamp for my fletching jig for the next build I put together.

6. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you never intend to shoot beyond 50-60 yards, then I agree with trial153. If you want to hunt game beyond that (not talking target practice for confidence), and you can only fletch once, then 3 vanes (2 1/2 blazers)/2 degree offset.