New 80 Acre Parcel with Creek and Corn

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Craig Hansen, May 15, 2020.

1. Craig Hansen

Craig Hansen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Newly acquired land. Looking for some good suggestions on potential bow hunting spots. Any thoughts or suggestions would be apprecaited! About 80 acres total.

Attached Files:

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice aerial, but do you have any other information on the property? Like whats planted in these fields ,what tree species in hedge rows whats planted on neighboring fields. Have you scouted for bedding and rub areas? Checked crossings on that creek/stream? What are seasonal wind directions?

3. Craig Hansen

Craig Hansen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the outline I have, those fields will be planted with corn this year. The surrounding AG, not sure, but its usually corn or hay for the most part. As far as the crossing of the creeks its hard to tell because we got so much rain last year, they couldn't possibly cross anywhere, unless they swam....This year, so far, it is drying up towards the north end. I have not got a good chance to scout the area yet. Typically its a north, west, or nw wind.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So next question would is it silage corn or grain corn. This makes a big difference in fall usage. As silage corn is harvested earlier and leave virtually no residue in the fields and no cover early. The grain combining is done later and leaves some good residue but sometimes too much cover. Is this lease or owned? Can you plant field edging? Are those small plots I see?. Living in ag country I find farmers crop harvest as far away as 3 miles can effect what I see in my area. Probably why I use the term , timings everything a lot. I ask farmers next to me what their plans are every spring. Lets me know how I should p!an my stuff.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    The above was based on my northern location . Am I correct to assume your in a sandy southern area? If so I have no idea your harvest timings.

6. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. Craig Hansen

Craig Hansen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. I’m in good old Midwest in CENTRAL Wisconsin.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Huh...what's all that white in the fields? It reminded me of Florida and some sandier southern states, exception Georgia.
    Well then you should have about the same harvest times as we do. Look for the soft and hard mast trees. I'm not sure of the ones you have out there. Oaks , apples, wild pears and plums hedge apples, ect,ect. Also know your weeds because here in ag country certain weeds are deer candy to them. For us it's poke weed, elderberry brush, grey dog wood brush. Check what wild plants deer in your area eat and get to know them if you don't already. Don't over look things like locusts pods and hop horn drupes if you have those trees. Deer will hone in on certain wild foods as they come into ripened fruit, thus places you may want to set up near at different times.
    Hope some of this helps.