Small property Whitetail habitat improvement help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by LTR903, May 6, 2020.

1. LTR903

LTR903 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to improve whitetail habitat on this small property and how to set it up for hunting( attached photos is of property ) ( I tried to include helpful information) Any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated. Land is owned and alterations can be made. Primarily focused on bow hunting.
    -Thanks 594DAFA8-6DCC-440C-BCE9-C5A57DEC6095.jpeg 594DAFA8-6DCC-440C-BCE9-C5A57DEC6095.jpeg 053DAB97-22C3-4857-A269-978EC30C0EEE.jpeg

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With that size property you are going to want to hunt the edges. Throw up some cams and find the patterns. Watch your wind and find a good spot for a stand for each wind option. Good luck. Keep us in the loop.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of size, how many acres, what are the tree and brush species? Also width from big field edge line to the opposite side.
    I really can't tell the terrain so is that sloped, is that creek shallow or deep and wide? Are those trails just ATV wide or tractor wide? Is the entire timber area mature or do you have succession growth?
    You need to know if this is a doe bedding area or a summer buck area?
    There is one standard that I agree with on land usage by deer.
    Main food then steps back to doe usage this then steps back to your buck hang out. Because there is little tolerance between buck and doe during summer fawn rearing. Buck also don't hang in heavy under growth during antler growth.
    To this you have a lot of glassing, scouting for beds ,rubs, browse identifying and pic info to get . Before anything is put into play. You may not have to improve anything. Just find best presets to make this summer and best trail. cleaning to get you to them.

4. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 8.8 acre piece I have owned 3 years now. The most important thing (as usual) is the pressure you put on a small piece like this. I have added swamp oak pockets and a white pine/red cedar wall to give privacy. You want the deer to always feel safe there. The way you get on and off the property is just as important as where you sit. I don’t set foot on it after the last mowing of my little clover plot (.5 acre) and after this year I’ll fill the new water hole I just added in early to mid September. Then the gate gets locked and unless I have I bow I don’t go in there and everything has to be perfect for me to sit there. It’s real easy to over hunt an area like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]