Help with Thermals by Creek

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by airenlow, Apr 29, 2020.

1. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What would you expect the thermals to do in this spot? Stand is 60 yards from the large flowing creek. I've had a stand here for 2 years, but I'm regularly getting winded by deer on the West side of the stand. I'm thermal ignorant and know it...
    20200429_140557.jpg

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you up in the air Josh? Have you ever tried powder or anything to detect flows. Preseason you should sneak out and waste a container of talc learning.

3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, no. The last 2 years have been from a blind. I just scrapped that idea and moved a ladder stand here. I'll for sure take some talc when I go out to prep the plot.

Fix likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thermals will fall in the evening. It will come down hills and find the lowest areas. Most wind won't effect it unless it's really blowing hard. The thermals want to find the lowest area, so that is the creek. Once it hits the creek it will flow with the direction of the creek. My guess the deer that are busting you are the ones walking up the creek in the evening. Thermals are really exaggerated when you have a big temp swing in the last hour of the day. A 10 - 20 degrees drop of temp right before sun down will really get them moving. Best bet would to be sit the stand and get some milk weed. Just keep dropping it every 5 - 10 minutes and watch as it changes up until dark. It's a eye opening when you can view what's really happening.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shocker99 and airenlow like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If that map is North to the top. My guess is most thermals are falling to the southwest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

airenlow likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Morning the thermal will be dropping into the steam bottom, barring a strong prevailing wind. They may hold, swirl or slight follow the water flow.

About mid morning, when the sun (unless you're in heavy cover) and hits the east side they may travel up, likely either side more so based on the prevailing wind.

Evening could be tricky, depending on how fast it cools and thermals switch.

So basically, what Holt said. And 100% on milkweed, cattails, dandelions or similar.

Shocker99 and airenlow like this.
  7. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]