F-150 owners...past and present

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Matt/TN, Dec 23, 2009.

1. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my 05 Lariat 4x4 (similar to the fx4 with the center console, bucket seats and the 5.4L) has the same report as Justin's, i'm about 68k on the ticker and there hasn't even been a hiccup in it.... best vehicle i've ever owned, it is phenomenal on the highway, plenty of power, tows anything i can put behind it, has carried over 1500lbs in the bed (pallets of brick pavers)... seriously, my next truck will be another f150, but I won't be buyin another truck for another 4-5yrs, I plan on getting 200k on this thing before I part with it and will likely pass it to my oldest boy if it holds up til then (about 6.5 more yrs)...

2. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    MOST f150's are built in Kansas City and Dearborn... and even with some being built in mexico they are still one of the single highest percentage of USA made vehicles in the world... even compared to the assembled in the US toyotas...

3. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    you won't get 35's under an f150 without a 2.5" leveling kit... cheap and reasonable easy to do yourself...

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the differential (front to back) on the fords? What methods are you all using to achieve "level"? I decided against the kit (for now). I wanted to see if I liked "just" going up a size (taller) in tires, alone.

So far.....love the ride.

What I've been most intrigued by, is the difference in "feel" of the ride, since I added my undercover (brand) tonneau cover. I lucked into a guy who had one for sale that came off a 2006 his son wrecked. It's in awesome shape. New, they're $650. This guy was moving back to FL, this past THursday. I paid $150 for mine AND a set of chrome nerf step bars. I'd already bought a set of bars for my truck, so I have a set that I'm trying to sell. I figure I'll get $100 for the bars, and be "in" the cover for +/- $65! I ordered a small list of replacement parts for the cover, but it really looks new. I'm tickled to death for having lucked into this. The whole thing weighs 58#. and it comes on/off in seconds.

Couple thinngs made me lean towards the toyota. Biggest thing was the fact I'd driven them for "co." vehicles for years.....and I knew the maintenance records for them (fleet costs). Secondly, the resale #'s are telling (to me). I don't plan on selling this one any time soon.....but I meant more along the lines of what the market's telling us. Not familiar (much) with the Fords.....other than knowing how we made out with resale, after the trucks had 140K or so on them (and we flipped them). These were also "fleet" type trucks (construction supt. driven). So....again, I can't speak to how well the more "dressed up" units resale.

I'll give you all this......the Ford photo'd (Matt's possible unit) is a GREAT looking truck. I'd be proud as heck driving it.

Snowed 7-8" here the day after I brought mine home. No complaints at all on its' performance in the white stuff. Anyone who's ever been to my house knows that my DRIVEWAY is the biggest test I'll face in snow/icy conditions....lol. It performed flawlessly. This photo was taken last year, when we only got 2-3" on it (that's my home, at the top....that you can barely make out the outline of).

[​IMG]

Glad everyone is happy with their choices. I'll get a photo of my son's truck up, sometime (the '99 Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab TRD we bought him for Christmas). I still can't get over how nice his truck is......for the year model. I'd drive it (as a daily driver) in a minute!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff we got about 7-8 inches of that white stuff too. Some places even got up to 10 inches in places. Crazy snow!

I have been doing a lot of reading about these trucks and the only major issue that I have found is the spark plug problem I alluded to a few days ago.

The good reviews WAY outnumber the bad ones for these particular trucks, not to mention we have an 04', 06', and a 98' in the immediate family (grandma, dad, uncle) and they all LOVE their trucks. Dad has had some issues with his but he's up around 250k miles.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt. Next to a Tundra, a Ford would be my next choice.

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Well we went today, drove it, I went over the truck and all that jazz. This thing is in immaculant shape and rode really well. Mom fell in love with it too :)

We did all the neccessary paperwork, signed everything, and we are bringing the money and picking it up Monday. So if everything works out, I'll be owning an 06 Crew Cab F-150 FX-4 Monday :D

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Congrats. Has to be an exciting time:D

9. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    It's exciting, no doubt.

I'm a bit of a pessimist though, so I won't be completely happy til I get it. I'm still waiting for something to go wrong! lol. I'm just hoping everything falls into place for me.

10. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at the tire size too, I can't for the life or me remember the exact measurements. Figures lol.

I think they were 265x?x20, either 265 or 275 and i believe it was 265. Sound right?

11. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BBM Good catch on the cheap price... It really was a good deal... it had 82k on it and had worn out tires... Something about the steering I didn't like at all... he assured me it was the tires... I knew better.

But at the price I was going to get.... I figured I could get it fixed and still come out ahead... kind of glad I didn't. I hate dodges too btw. I'm Chevy/GMC all the way... but like you said if the price is right.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron .... Dodge trucks suck ;)

Ford or Chevy ... only way ta go, IMO

13. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my 2008 Tacoma from this weekend. Once i run this thing into the dirt, i plan on getting another. I love it

Attached Files:

14. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You really can't go wrong with any of the full sized trucks on the market today. Just do everything you can to ensure that it's been treated good. The only one I would try and steer you away from would be the Dodge Ram. Their re-sale value is crap. I personally own a 2004 Silverado and it's gave me great service but I've also taken very good care of it. I'm at 127K and no problems yet (knock on wood). I spent about $650 on it when it was new for the Hypertech programmer and the K&N kit and now get between 19 and 21 MPG depending on the condition. Seemed like it was a good investment. You could probably do the same with the F-150.

15. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on doing the same, I'm holding off on tires and stuff. I'll put those on when I use the ones on it up.

Right now, I'm looking at doing:

Edge Evo Programmer
    K&N Intake
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Tint the windows
    and maybe a leveling kit

with some bigger tires coming in a few months.

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's likely $1,500 worth, there, min. (guessing).

Good luck!

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome truck (of course, I'm a bit biased:D).

To the guys who all own 04+ F150s 4wd/5.4s, what do you get mpg wise in the following scenarios?

Highway (summer)?

Highway (winter)?

City (summer)?

City (winter)?

Mixed (summer)?

Mixed (winter)?

Towing?

Just out of curiosity.

18. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff's right. On my wife's Tahoe I had Flowmasters, Hypertech Programmer, K&N Kit and her 2 front windows tinted and it cost me $1325. I remeber that very well cause she didn't tell me she was doing it until I had to pick her up from the shop. That was low down and dirty....kind of like something I'd do to her.

19. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    You're wife put Flowmasters, Programmer, and an intake on her OWN vehicle? That's impressive! lol. Good taste!

Today should be the day guys, I've been getting everything together, still hoping everything works out. Hopefully reporting back with pictures later. :)