Sitka Gear/Camo Questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tpmonaha, Apr 18, 2020.

1. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

I hope that each of you is staying safe during this time. I am thinking about upgrading my camo this summer and really like the Sitka line. Not sure how many of you use it but for those of you that do, primarily for whitetail hunting, what is your go-to setup in terms of layers and all throughout the season.

The reason I ask is because they have 2-3 different pants, more than that for jacket selection, and base layers?

I bow hunt mainly NC which really stays warm until mid or even late October in a lot of cases. I do have a heavy merino wool base layer already so thought about going with the lightweight baselayers.

My thought process was the ESW pants, Fanatic Hoody, and the vest for early to mid season.

Mid season: Not sure...

Late Season: Stratus pants and Fanatic Jacket

Just seeing what some of you guys/gals thought and any insight would be great.

Thanks

2. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have three different layer packages, you would be surprised how warm the medium layers are, flexibility, the lighter stuff works and if you layer right you can extend the range.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is a hard decision to drop that kind of money on clothes, but most of us that have sitka have not regretted the decision. I have the fanatic jacket/bibs and they are great.
    I wear light clothes to stand, bring a mid-weight base layer for when I get to the stand, then put Sitka stuff on and I've been comfortable. That's all I take, using the Sitka stuff reduced some of what I haul to the woods.
    Hard to explain, but the warmth from the sitka gear was like a dry/breathable warm, not like a damp(?) warm from cheap gear that does not breath as well..if that makes sense.
    There is a guy on Facebook that can get you a good deal on sitka, don;t pay the website price. You will not regret buying this stuff.

4. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your early season setup looks spot on.

for mid season I use Sitka lightweight base layers top and bottom, and Stratus Jacket and pants. If it’s cool (below 30) then I’ll switch out the lightweight base layers with heavyweight and wear a heavyweight hoody underneath the jacket. Then for when it’s real cold (below 20) I’ll layer the Fanatic vest over top of the Stratus jacket.

I would go with the Stratus Jacket and pants/bibs as they are the most versatile pieces in their lineup. They are re-designing the Stratus this year as well but hasn’t been released yet.

tpmonaha likes this.
  5. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Any thoughts on sizing? I know Sitka is more fitted than anything else I've ever worn. I am 5'9 175-180 lbs . Is large going to fit well for you guys that wear it?

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Large will be plenty big enough. Take a look at the Equinox pants for mid season.
    You’ll probably catch flack for buying Sitka. Most people who say it’s not worth it, don’t own it. I’ve never regretted the money I’ve spent on it.
    Check on eBay. You can pick up once used items cheap. Just don’t bid against me!

7. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am similar in size, I am 5'9' 165lbs and I wear a large in everything other than my Stratus pants and base layers bottoms which are mediums. But all else from bibs to tops to jackets/vests are all size large and the fit is great.