Who all here are MMA fans?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Greg / MO, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been watching MMA since the Gracie-Shamrock days, and I'm responsible for three sports bars showing it in our area.

I know Proff on another site was a huge fan as well... How about anyone else?

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hooked ever since tank abbott,don fry and Mark Coleman started fighting.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been watching on/off for the past few years now. Probably less now that there's so many PPV events. It seems like there's a UFC event every three weeks and they certainly aren't getting any cheaper. I've met Tim Sylvia a few times now and a we sponsored a local fighter at a few local events as well.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a fan for quite a while. I get all of the UFC events, and got most of the Pride events as well before they went under. I've actually got a collection of UFC and Pride events on tape at my camp that has most of both of their PPV events since 2002 ;) .

I didn't get the recent Affliction fight card, but probably will get the next one (Arlovski/Fedor). I've seen a bit of Fedor from Pride and Bodog and he's simply amazing to watch.

5. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I got the closest sports bar that I'd convinced to carry all the UFC fights to pick up the Affliction card, too... Could have done without the Megadeth songs, but still a nice night of fights.

I'm hoping Randy Couture can settle his lawsuit with the UFC and they can make the Fedor-Couture bout happen.

6. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love MMA.

I'm a pretty big Huerta fan.

I hope he whoops Florian.

7. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the latest news...

Sources have told Yahoo! Sports that free agent Tito Ortiz will fight Renato "Babalu" Sobral in the co-main event at Affliction's next fight card, on Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center on the UNLV campus in Las Vegas. The main event will feature a heavyweight bout between WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski.

Gonna be a good card for such an upstart company fighting a Goliath like the UFC!

8. Passthru

Passthru Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Heck Yeah!!!!!:rock:

Jay

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutly love MMA!! I was a huge Matt Hughs fan but i think his days are numbered. The dude was just flat out strong for his size. I am, and have always been a hugh Captain America (RC) fan. My all time favorite fight is when Randy dominated Tim Silvia at his own game. (stand up) He may be old but has the heart of a lion.

10. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remeber those days :d . Met Mark Coleman once, heck of guy. Arlovski (spelling?) was my all time favorite :bash: . I've been a fan of Griffin since his days on the show and truly believe he won that fight against Tito (even though he got pounded in the first round :confused: )

11. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Mark Coleman is a warrior and a man that has been around the sport a long time. Tito and Arlovski are going to get their arses handed to them in their upcoming fights. I have always been a Matt Hughes fan, but heard he can be a prick. He is as redneck as any of us and cocky as all giddup. I wish Frank Mir never got into the cycle accident, love to watch him fight, especially when he snapped Sylvia's are. Chuck Liddell as well, such an unorthadox fighter that you would never think was half as tough if you met him in a bar. St. Pierre, now that SOB has a game plan and is in better shape than almost anyone in the sport. What I loved was seeing Brock Lesnar getting submitted by Mir, cocky bastard needs more time in training camp:d

12. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Raceway, I agree with you on Matt Hughes. I love the guy, though most seem to hate him :confused: . I never was a Mir fan, but I agree 100% about G.S.P., that dude's a freak. Randy Couture is the best all around fighter I've ever seen.
    Who's your biggest disappointment? I'll take that young guy from Gracie camp a while back, Vitor Belfort (I think?)

13. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Mirko Cro Cop has been a huge disappointment since coming to UFC. Rampage's last fight was a serious disappointment as well. Gotta love Anderson Silva, respectful fighter that pound for pound is arguably the best in the world. I love watching B.J. Penn also, he is incredible yet such a slacker. B.J. could be something else if he wasn't a spoiled rich kid.

14. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh heck yeah Greg, Ive been a fan since way back when Royce Gracie used to beat up on the big guys like Dan Severn when there were no weight classes. Its evolved into big money and great matches. 2 guys seem to be dominating the sport lately, Uriah Faber (WEC) and Anderson Sylva (UFC). Those 2 guys are devasting. Too bad they arent closer in weight, would be one hell of a match.

15. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Sylva would tear Faber apart. Faber needs to get into the UFC and leave the WEC behind. Faber has talent but he isn't fighting the same breed of fighters that Sylva is. I'd like to see B.J. Penn fight Uriah, now that would be a good fight !

16. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hope that Silva would tear him apart, he walks around at roughly 215lbs, as compared to Faber who is likely walking around at 150ishlbs. Silva is is cutting massive amounts of weight to make 180, and Faber is really too small for even lightweight. ;)

17. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya Rick, Faber is a small lightweight. Pound for Pound Anderson is the man from what I have seen in his fights. Faber is awesome but Anderson is devastating. I'm watching WEC right now with Miguel Torres and some Korean guy, awesome freakin fight:cool:

18. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, I thought me and Doug was the only MMA fans over on HNI, We posted in the offseason all the time... where were you guys??

Hughes is my fav though.... I feel retirement is imimnent(sp) I have a new respect for GSP and Griffen whippin up on Rampage?? How bout them apples(yes i know it was questionable). UFC is what i watch mainly, sometimes Ill catch WEC I like them too, and the Tapout crew they are hilarious.

But whatever affiliation Kimbo Slice fought in was a JOKE.

19. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I agree, I wasnt saying they should fight each other, as I mentioned "too bad they arent closer in weight, would be a hell of a match". Im not so sure pound for pound Sylva would win IF they were the same weight. Faber just fought "one" of the best UFC featherweight fighters in that weight class and opened up a can of whoop ass on him. Jens Pulver is one of the toughest guys Ive ever seen, but not quite in the same league as Faber. I agree, BJ Pen vs Faber would be awesome!!!

20. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Jens got his butt handed when he fought B.J. last time and not Faber. I have never liked little evil much so no loss there:d