How has the virus outbreak affected your job

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pastorjim08, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a Sr Data Engineer and I build pipelines that move data from GLUPS--->Hadoop Cluster--->Vertica Cluster--->Reports and analytic dashboard(we built our own).

In my company our division helps advertisers put ads on the retailer's websites, we manage the auction for the prime real estate on a page. Our business is up 120% for March and trending higher for April. Internet traffic for retailers is up 100% since the shutdown. Not sure what the future holds as during downtimes ad money is the first to go. I will say we did get a raise this last week, was not the 5+ percent like last year it was half, but I am thankful and shocked at the same time. I am working from home at this time.

I still have recruiters calling me, so that's a little strange.

The wife is a school teacher and teaching online classes for the rest of the year.

2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Assistant manager for a company that builds arborist and utility equipment. Harnesses, climbers, linemen belts etc. we are deemed essential. Working around 60 hrs a week. My wife works at a dr. Office. Everything is status quo for us. Everyone is healthy so far thankfully.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Busier actually, wife is a CFO and I oversee all NY branches for a bank remotely anyways. Only thing that's changed is the branches I maintain in PA and FL don't get a visit even if they need it.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not much has changed. We've been working whenever weather allows. Had to push back few jobs because the neighboring county makes you have building permits and that office is closed down. So can't do jobs there but so far that's only obstacle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Working full time. Been very challenging with this virus as many of our procedures have changed. In my line of work, keeping the fellas excited and upbeat is my main line of work. They all know they won't be getting raises for the next couple of years now, after they have already been crapped on for years with below market salaries. Take that and mix it with the group not being able to hang out very much due to this virus and it is making things not a lot of fun. I've been trying to get creative to make the job fun and to keep them all connected as an extended family.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deemed essential but nobody is calling for roofers too much at the moment and a bunch of guys are lowballing jobs just to keep a crew busy and paid. I've run repair leads and sold a few roofs but like most springs I'm just waiting for a hailstorm. Honestly, it's been nice having time around the house listening to wife come up with all the honey do's.. but better yet I have gone full out on the garden. Construction on our new home has been scaled back, so that's exciting news.

7. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work as an electrician at a College. We have not missed a day yet. We are considered essential because we have dorm turnarounds, projects and we still have students here that couldn’t go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    been retired, still retired, no change

Sota likes this.
  9. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am thankful to say it has not affected me or our company very much. We are labeled essential, and I've had fairly stable work in FL for the last month. Restrictions here are starting to loosen, wheras in PA they are only tightening. I am very grateful to be away from the chaos up north.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The fitness center I manage at the medical university I work for has been shutdown for the time being. I have been re-purposed into a daycare worker for the children of the hospital employees that do not have childcare because of all the schools and regular daycare being closed. Even though this is a partnership with the Little Rock School District, I am the PE teacher because I work in fitness. Apparently, the PE teachers for school district are still teaching from home. Explain that to me.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No change- IT consultant working mainly with Financial Services clients. Current project is sold through EOY.

12. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No change here. Retired 3 years ago and just moved into new house. Have plenty of little projects to do. Lowe’s will FedEx anything I need to my door in two days. Gives me time to plan my projects. Also in no rush. Could be a year before we’re all settled in. Only regrets is missing the grand kids.

elkguide and wl704 like this.
  13. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an EMT, so I'm essential. We've seen a couple of COVID cases with the flight team, but one of our sister bases seems to be in the hotspot right now. So far, on the 911 side, we haven't had any suspected COVID calls. My girlfriend is off because the kids are out of school and her employer is working with the parents who can't get childcare because most of the childcare centers are closed.

14. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Flight medic. Volume is down, OT is down but I still have a job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk